SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fandlil

insulation questions

fandlil
15 years ago

We have a one-story 1550 square foot house, built in 1985, with a stand up crawl space and an unfinished attic. In North Carolina. We're looking to improve the insulation in the floor of the attic. It's got loose gray colored pile stuff in there that appears to have settled over the years.

For me this is not a DIY project because I'm 72 and don't want to tackle it myself. I need to know:

1. What kind of insulation and how much should I have put into the floor of the attic to bring it up to standard?

2. Aside from making sure that vents in the floor of the attic that provide air flow are not blocked, what else should I look out for?

3. We have a vaulted ceiling in the kitchen and living room. We were told by one contractor that blown in extra insulation in those areas is a good idea. Another contractor said not to bother.

4. We have insulation under the floor -- batting material in the ceiling of the crawl space. It's about 3 inches thick. Is there any value in increasing the thickness of this insulation? The hard wood floor are not cold to the touch in winter.

5. The siding is made of that Masonite product that got a bad rap a few years ago. We have looked it over very closely and, after replacing it in a few places with Hardiplank where water damage got to it, we feel confident that the rest of it is okay. We understand that it's insulating capacity is at least as good as wood if not better. We think there's insulation in the walls, but don't know how much or what kind. We don't plan to do anything with that any time soon. Is that sensible?

6. We are replacing most of the window sashes with Energy Star rated windows, and are putting in new weather stripping where needed.

7. We have pull-down stairs to the attic. Is there a reasonably priced, sensible way to insulate the hatch? Or should I just put weather stripping there?

Many thanks for any advice from informed parties.

Comments (3)