SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearab_gw

Advice on kitchen 'bar' area

cearab
14 years ago

I am trying to help my BIL talk my sister out of what we think is a crazy idea, but need some expert help. They have a large house, but it has a small and poorly designed kitchen. The couple who they bought the house from did not cook at all and didn't have children. So the kitchen was barely used at all. There is a simple L shape to the kitchen counter-tops and along side the short end of the L, my sister wants to put in new granite counter-tops with a bar area and stools. The problem is that there is a small eating nook in the along side the short end of the L where she wants to put the bar area in. If you have 4 people at the table, there is barely enough room as it is now for the table with chairs extended. If an adult has to get up to get something, the person sitting next to them must get up and push their chair in so the person can get by. Only the kids have enough room to get behind the chairs if people are sitting in them. On the other side of the table is a half wall that separates the kitchen from the family room, so there is no place else to put the kitchen table.

My sister is highly educated, but just cannot get it in her head that there is not enough room in this kitchen anyplace for a bar area. Is there someone who can give me dimensions such as the overhang needed for a counter-top bar overhang and area needed for stools? I don't think she realizes how much of an expensive mistake this will be.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County