SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Are You Dependent Upon A Medication?

User
9 years ago

I've always been very healthy, albeit with an underlying clotting disorder. A year and a half ago I developed a chronic heart problem that requires daily medication. After the initial hospitalization I was weaned off the medication over a period of six months, and as soon as I stopped taking it completely the problem returned. I went back in a half dose and after a few weeks had to go back to the full dose. I am perfectly fine as long as I take the medication prescribed (no sympathy needed, really!). But I have found that there's been a paradigm shift in the way I think about things due to the fact that I must have this drug. It has made me consider hoarding it, in case of a shortage or disruption in the supply chain. When I get down to a week's supply I find myself getting nervous, and I refill it sooner than I actually need to do. My insurance insisted that this drug be provided by automatic refill from a mail order pharmacy, but I do not want to depend upon the mail and opted out of having the insurance company pay for it. (It's not that expensive so the cost is a non issue.). When I travel I carry the medication with me, as I have always done with other prescriptions I've taken short term, but I find I am slightly anxious about losing it and won't leave it out on the counter in a hotel bathroom just in case the chambermaid throws it away accidentally.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have never been dependent for my life on any drug or device before and I realize what I am feeling is a natural reaction to being vulnerable. But, how long is this going to last?

So..... if your life or health is dependent upon something similar, how do you plan and arrange your daily life and travel to maximize control over the vagaries of chance, such as having your handbag that contains your medication stolen, or getting stuck somewhere without your prescription? How long did you worry about it? If this sounds completely paranoid, go ahead and say so, maybe that's what I need to hear--- and let's just say you wouldn't be the first person to say it ðÂÂÂ

Comments (45)