SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Need ideas

kats_meow
12 years ago

We are looking at a house we may be buying and are trying to figure out what we can reasonably do in the kitchen without major remodeling. I like the kitchen layout overall. I know I will replace counters.

{{gwi:1590169}}

{{gwi:1566763}}

{{gwi:1590170}}

{{gwi:1590171}}

{{gwi:1590172}}

Things I know I will do:

1. Replace Corian counters with granite. We had been thinking about building a house and for that house I was probably going to have Bianco Romano. Might do that here.

2. The "bar" area is not really a bar you can eat out as it isn't wider than the width of the columns. I would extend that about 12" so it would be an actual bar.

3. Replace the backsplash. It isn't awful but is sort of boring and wouldn't go with the Bianco Romano. I like the glass and stone mosiac tile.

4. Replace sink with single bowl. Not sure what sink and replace faucet.

Things I would like to do but may not due to cost or because it is too difficult:

1. I would like to replace the cooktop with induction. Seller doesn't know if there is an electric connection so I'm not sure of cost.

2. Replace microwave with advantium. May wait and do this later.

3. I would like the bar to be counter top height. However the dishwasher is raised. I like that so not sure I could have the counter height bar and then raised DW. DH doesn't want to lower the DW.

4. The stain on the cabinets. I don't know what the cabinets are.I do want stained cabinets. I don't hate the stain but I would like one that is darker. I don't want cabinets that look painted. I am not sure that it would be cost effective to restain and I don't want to replace cabinets now.

5. Possibly put in under cabinet lighting and maybe lighting above the bar. Not sure of cost and how that would look above the bar anyway given the columns (which I don't like but have to live with).

Comments (20)

• colorfast
    12 years ago

It's hard from a picture to tell what the condition and age of the cabinets are. Have you asked the Realtor if the seller put them in? If so, ask what brand they are, and what finish is on them? Are they in great shape--what about the drawer construction and hardware? Do you like the storage it provides? I notice you have no blind corners, which is great. In short, is it worth putting new counters on them, especially granite?

If you have never cooked on a gas stovetop, I'd try it for a while before switching to induction. I love the instant heat of gas, and the immediate change in temp when I turn the knob.

The current bar would be useful as a buffet for friends, but not so much to sit at.

As to whether you can stain them, you might also post these pictures and the stain question over on the paint forum on GardenWeb.

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The cabinets are original to the house which was built in 2000. The cabinets are reasonably OK. Some of the lower cabinets have drawers inside of them. If I was doing it from scratch then I would have drawers for almost all the lower cabinets. At this point I can't really justify replacing them though.

I really just don't like gas. I've had gas and induction both and prefer induction.

• Related Discussions

Need ideas for high school graduation party/gift ideas

Q

Comments (6)
    I gave both of my kids a grad party when they graduated from HS. Both were essentially the same. Sunday afternoon around 2 pm. Lots (LOTS) of munchies - chips, dips, veggies, cookies, brownies, cheese, that sort of thing. No activities were planned. I invited my close friends, and they invited their friends. I served wine for the adults, cokes for the kids. Everyone sat around munching & schmoozing and a good time was had by all. Simple. For gifts, I recommend things that have to do with the college they will be going to (for those who are going). T-shirt, sweat shirt, rug for dorm room, blanket, etc, with college logo. If they are going away to another city, books with information on that city. Mostly my kids got checks for gifts, but a few people gave them what I just named above and they liked those gifts a lot.
    ...See More

Need ideas on kitchen layout & I need your ideas :)

Q

Comments (4)
    We definitely need a plan with dimensions. My first thought is to put the fridge & freezer on opposite ends of that back wall with the range centered between them. You'll want a pot filler, but it shouldn't be a problem as there's already water there for the fridge. Put the microwave and warming drawer in the island, and leave the sink where it is. This way you don't need to move any walls, or mess with the floors if you don't want to. And I would definitely remove that crazy soffit over the island! :-)
    ...See More

We need a new refrigerator. Need ideas and advice

Q

Comments (2)
    It sounds like those people may have two 36” over/under Sub Zero fridges. I had one in my former home...was still going strong at 25 years old, when we sold the house. In our new home, we put in a 42” French door SZ. Once again, terrific refrigeration. Not a lick of trouble after 4 years, unlike other brands complained about on this forum. I expect this fridge will be the long lasting workhorse our former fridge was. A big plus...Sub Zero has the best customer service in the industry. Since you stated that you and your husband are willing “to spend some money,” I urge you to find a store, where you can check them out.
    ...See More

Need Need ideas for 2 more pillows for this couch.

Q

Comments (0)
    What fabric, color and size would look good? Advice appreciated.
    ...See More
  • joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

IF the cabinets are good quality and in good condition, then staining them dark and getting hardware might be a sound choice. Unless this was a custom house, my guess is that they are builder grade and at 12 years old I don't think I'd spend the $$ to change everything BUT the cabinets. You might want to wait until you can affoed to do a total remodel. This is just my opinion, but the arch and "hood" over the cooktop make it look dated. Also, you might want to live with it as is for awhile to see what works for you and what doesnt before putting in granite, BS only to discover you wish you could put this cabinet over there, etc...

• avesmor
    12 years ago

If they weren't weight-bearing, I'd take down the columns on either side of the bar. I think that would really open things up, and if I planned on using the bar as actual seating, I think it would be more comfortable and inviting for the people sitting there. If they aren't weight-bearing, it shouldn't be too major to get them down. But that's just me.

I don't think I would bother putting nice granite on builder grade oak cabinets. (I didn't in my last house). Again - just my preference.

It looks like your cooktop just has a single light above it? Is there a range hood inside that arch thing? ANd speaking of, I'd get rid of the arch. It kinda just looks like a stained sheet of oak plywood, you know? Looks like someone forgot to do something with it.

I'm having a hard time orienting myself to the pictures, but in the 4th pic, left side, there's some lower cabinetry and then it looks like you either intersect the higher cabinetry that's facing you (immediately to the left of the fridge hole), or the cabinetry stops and then picks up again. Can you explain what's happening there? I really can't tell from the pics.

Adding a dedicated electric source for a different cooktop, based on estimates I got for something similar, might run in the neighborhood of several hundred dollars. This was with the concession that the new wiring would be routed through conduit in the cabinetry (e.g. the wiring passes through the cabinets, not behind drywall). I did NOT go with that option, I just had it priced (old house, not my current one).

Why can't you have a counter height bar and keep the raised DW? The SW would still be raised, it just wouldn't be raised above the bar, your sink would be "recessed" (not really but visually).

HTH

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm having a hard time orienting myself to the pictures, but in the 4th pic, left side, there's some lower cabinetry and then it looks like you either intersect the higher cabinetry that's facing you (immediately to the left of the fridge hole), or the cabinetry stops and then picks up again. Can you explain what's happening there? I really can't tell from the pics.

That is the opening between the column and the other wall. Look at picture 1. See the opening on the left. That is what you are seeing in picture 4 in the area you are talking about.

Avesmor -- I agree with you about the columns. I am going to look at the house with a contractor and will ask about that. If they aren't weight bearing I would take them out.

As far as replacing cabinets, not sure I could budget for it now. I have a certain amount I can spend on remodeling right now and have to put up a fence so I may have enough for counters but not new cabinets. I might could consider Ikea cabinets (which I do like) but not sure their sizes would fit in. I will probably get a quote on what that would cost.

I don't like the arch above the cooktop either. I could take it out and then put in a real hood.

I understand the concept of not putting in counters now if we might replace cabinets later. On the other hand it might be years before we would replace cabinets and, in the meantime, I don't like the counters and could replace that before even moving in. It is easy to say don't do X if you can't do Y but then you can be left not doing anything and being unhappy about that.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Wow, great bones to this kitchen! Lots of potential there! How exciting for you guys :)

Immediately when I saw this kitchen, it reminded me of one, maybe even two, I have seen on here. Very similar with the columns and workspace there. But for the life of me, I cannot remember who's kitchen it is. Boy I hope someone else can help you out and recall who's kitchen it resembles.

You might look into gel stain. I have never worked with it, but know beekeeperswife here on GW has used it several times in different places in her home. She is still on here, in the midst of building a new home and selling their current home, so busy but I am sure she could point you in the right direction with the gel stain.

I will ponder who's kitchen that was and if I remember or find it, I will post again.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

A lovely kitchen with tall celings and lots of space.
    Good bones!

Okay Cat's-meow,

I am going to play with what I would do if it were my
    kitchen. Indugle me if you will.
    : )
    I would knock down the columns and build an island. In fact
    if it were me, I would keep all the perimeter cabs and
    spend the money on a new island space. Even a different
    material. One level island with a new sink etc.. That is,
    if the support is not needed.

Gel stain the perimeter cabs a warm chocolate brown.
    I wish the pictures were a tiny bit brighter in some
    pics the cabinets look a like a rich brown and the other
    pics they look more honey colored.

I would remove the arch. Spend a little on a hood.
    It would not be hard to get electric to the cooktop
    and get the kind of cooktop you want. Notice the outlets
    next to the cooktop that is there. I would not worry,
    a good electrician can get the wires to a new induction.

undercab lights always make a space more beautiful.
    I wonder if you could get a light into the glass cab.

Change the backsplash tile to something to flow with the
    new space and feel I want to have. Something creamy to
    go with the warm chocolate brown cabs.

I would also buy two pendants to go above the new
    island.

If money was being stretched too much I would keep the
    counter on the perimeter and only change the new island.

Thanks for letting me play around with your space.
    ~boxer

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I'm going to guess those columns are load bearing...or why else would they be there? With the vaulted ceiling in the (living?) room, I would guess that is your load bearing wall. Still a good idea to find out, though :)

If they do have to stay, then lower the dishwasher (since you're putting new countertops, anyway) and you might be able to lower the eating counter. Either way, a deeper countertop and having it wrap around the back of the columns, will look much better! I'd think about beadboard on the wall, where people's feet will be bumping it, from the stools. A couple of pendants, over the bar area, would look good, too!

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I also suspect it is load bearing. if it isn't it would certainly be goine but I think it probably is but will check with the contractor when I go out there.

Boxerpups - the color of the cabinets is probably midway between the lightest color that it looks like in the photos and the darkest color. It is not really honey but isn't super dark either.

While I might like the idea of a dark gel stain, DH would not go for it. He wouldn't doing anything too dark.

I do like the idea of making the island bar area countertop height even if the columns have to stay so I'll look into that.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Hi Again Kats-meow,

Here are some ideas of kitchens with colums on the island.
    I think these might help.
    And staying with the lighter color on the cabs will be
    lovely too.

~boxer

creative solution

Notice they kept the orginal perimeter cabs and updated
    the island with white and kept columns.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

think it would be better to leave your columns...the pictures demonstrate how to play them up. The space needs a little architectural embellishing along with color. The space with the arched doorways and windows, once decorated would balance out what looks like a kitchen that"needs" something-but doesn't, really. The backsplash looks good...couldn't you work with it when you do countertop replacement?

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Strongly suggest living in that kitchen for a few years. Then you can redo it with better insight and the upgraded kitchen won't be as dated. This kitchen isn't even 15 yrs old yet and there's very little wrong with it.

Most of your proposed changes will not change the function of the kitchen although I suspect you will probably continue to mourn the lack of a wide eating surface at passthrough, even if others would not, since the eating table is so close and a cluttered passthrough can become an eyesore in the greater view. If in meantime you need a new sink, that is not a big alternation and you can do that at any point, unless you have an apron sink in mind.

You seem to crave some kind of change. How about a more radical paint color, to set off the kitchen from the balance of the room? And let yourself put some fun stuff high on the wall, some interesting fabrics into the space, and inviting tableware on the table and in the cabs. For a couple hundred dollars you can get to know your new space and still have something new to play with right now.

But...If you are buying this place with the intention of immediately redoing the countertops and backsplash and appliances and such, be sure to plan sufficient budget for this plus the house payment; you are probably not a person who enjoys second best and it sounds like you have your motor running already.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Kats- I can understand you wanting to change things. It looks very 'builder kitchen' right now...safe and neutral. What about painting some of the cabinets white? Maybe mix the wood and white to give it a little more life? Boxer has some good examples, but on other threads, they've shown a mix of wood/white uppers with wood lowers, but maybe pantry or fridge area is painted white.

A new countertop and backsplash will make it more 'your style' and lowering the dishwasher will really open up some much needed counterspace, next to the sink.

I really like Boxer's fourth picture of the pass through. You could do something similar...keep the wood on the island and maybe paint some of the other cabinets? Very pretty :)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd take out the arch and redo the bs. Because the bs is a vertical surface, it will be more noticeable than worrying about the counters.
    If you hate gas, then put in the induction, but if I had a good working gas cooktop, I'd make do and save the money. I can understand liking the other better, but it is opening a can of worms. In either case, you need a venthood.
    I'd change out the sink/faucet and use a different material for the top level of the island to satisfy your wanting to remove counters.
    I think with some tweaking you should be able to get many happy years with this kitchen. The size is nice, the layout is not bad and it is young.

I'd add hardware to the cabs and paint a more interesting color on the walls.

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I truly hate the counters and I hate the fact it doesn't have a true bar. So it is hard for me to even think about leaving those counters in there. I don't really like most shades of brown or beige so I dislike the counters and the backsplash.

I like the idea of taking out the arch over the cooktop and putting in a true hood.

I also love some of the column ideas I got from boxerpups post. It does reinforce my desire to make the counter bar height even if it means moving the DW to regular height.

Florantha - I don't think I want to live with it as is for several years. We may decide to defer the changes until next year. I'm not sure what you mean by this statement "be sure to plan sufficient budget for this plus the house payment; you are probably not a person who enjoys second best and it sounds like you have your motor running already." FWIW, we are paying cash for the house and I don't know what you mean by my motor running. We aren't trying to spend money unnecessarily but I do want a kitchen that I look forward to going into not one that I don't like whenever I walk by it.

Anyway, meeting with contractor tomorrow so should have a better idea then of our options.

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Went back and saw it with the contractor. He thinks that the columns are not load bearing although determining for sure was beyond the scope of what we could do at this time.

I've asked him to give a quote for 2 main options:

Option 1

Replace all the cabinets, remove the columns, and put in an island with countertop height bar. This would all be with stained maple with Bianco Romano counters. We would put a chimney hood over the cooktop. There is no hood over it now. The cooktop has a downdraft in it (which I know is useless from past experience). Backsplash to be some sort of glass mosaic tiles.

Option 2

Remove columns and put in the same island as above. Keep all the other cabinets, but paint them white.

Existing cabinets are MDF with wood veneer. They are actually in good shape as such but I don't like how they look. If we don't end up replacing them, though, I think the option of painting them white but putting in a large island with counterheight bar but have the island be stained wood would look nice.

One other question:

{{gwi:1590171}}

See the cabinet on the right that has glass doors? See how it is recessed? I wondered why it was like that. I look at the original floor plan and that area was originally designed to be a closet. Apparently the owners instead made it cabinets with counter but it recessed in because that was originally closet space. The oven/mic is set into the wall and then these cabinets are too the right. If we do replace the cabinets I wonder if I should just remove those cabinets and make it a closet? The recessed cabinets look a little strange to me partly becaused it is recessed and partly since it has the sheetrock above it unless the other cabinets where it is open above the cabinet. But maybe that is just me and doesn't look strange to anyone else...

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

That was it! I kept wondering what was going on with
    the cabinet run. Now I see it.
    Why don't you change the space to have a longer counter and put the oven/ mw combo in the recessed closet so that
    the run on the left of the oven is one counter dept?

You would be getting rid of the walls around the mw
    and oven. It will look more open, cleaned lined and functional.
    ~boxer

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is a great idea and if we end up replacing cabinets I think I will go with it.

If we end up just painting those cabinets, not sure what I will do though...

(Anxious to see the bid to do this work so we can decide....)

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually...thinking about it...that doesn't make the cabinet run any longer since that would be next to the refrigerator space. Still...it might look nicer.

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just to do a final follow up on this....

We ended up not making a deal on that house.

Ironically we found another house that I like better overall than the original house (there are things I like better in the original house though). A big factor in the house we are buying is that we really, really like the kitchen. It already has granite - (Blue Pearl which was actually the granite I had in my office in my old house) and is much larger with a nice layout. It isn't perfect -- I have a thread on a couple of issues) and I wish that the pass through had an overhang so it could be a bar (there is an overhang on the peninsula but I just wish there was on the pass through to the living area).

However, I love the large island with sink (although I think the prep sink should be on the other side of the island) and love the double oven (wish it had a true hood over the cooktop instead of the built in microwave but we'll probably change that in a few years).

{{gwi:1521341}}

{{gwi:1590179}}

{{gwi:1590180}}

{{gwi:1590181}}