SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bristlingacres_gw

Cooktop in Island with seating? Please Help ASAP!

bristlingacres
16 years ago

I'm curious what the consensus is on regarding having seating around an island that contains a cooktop.

We're currently redoing our island to make it a little more functional (going from annoying multilevel countertops to one level countertop so that I have plenty of space to roll out pie crusts, etc) but our 6 burner Viking cooktop currently sits in the island AND we can't move it. We are thinking of making the island big enough so that bar stools could be placed opposite the cooktop. I do have small children and now I'm wondering if perhaps that is a terrible idea. There would be approximately 28" of counterspace between the seating area and the cooktop.

I could have cabinets put in where we plan to put the seating area but I'd have to act very fast to convince my dh that we need to alter our plans if indeed this is an issue. Dh doesn't think there will be a problem.

We do have an informal dining area adjacent to the kitchen so it is not critical that there be seating directly in the kitchen area.

I hope this makes sense. I'd appreciate your input! The island is already torn apart and dh plans on getting the wood necessary to start finishing it.

Astrid

Comments (15)