SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ca_mom

Engineered Quartz versus Crockpots

ca_mom
13 years ago

Hi all,

In my endless search for the perfect no-maintenance countertop I came across these warnings. Mentioned it to a sales rep, and they didn't think a Crockpot would be trouble for an engineered quartz counter.

"� Do NOT use crock pots or electric skillets while in direct contact with your Silestone surfaces. Always place them on a trivet or cutting board to protect your countertop. (Review your electric appliance manual as a reference.) Silestone is a stone product. As with any natural stone, certain exposure to heat may cause cracks due to thermal shock."

"How does CaesarStone withstand heat?

CaesarStone is structurally more heat resistant in comparison to other stones, including granite. However, any stone material can potentially be damaged by sudden and rapid temperature changes, especially near the edges. Therefore, using inexpensive and readily available hot pads or trivets is always recommended, especially when using cooking units such as electric frying pans, crock pots, or roaster ovens."

The CaeserStone implies that a Crockpot would be dangerous to granite!

Are they serious or just covering their bases? I'd love to be able to plop down the 400 degree Le Creuset without worry but think this is only possible with soapstone which probably is out of my budget. But I didn't think I'd have to worry about my slow cooker!

Any experience? Thanks much!

Comments (12)