SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmarv1951

Stand mixer pasta attachment

mrsmarv
14 years ago

I posted this on the KT...I thought about posting this on Cooking but I know you guys will give me your opinions just as well ;o)

I'm hoping some of you can weigh in and help me with a decision. My old Atlas pasta machine has bitten the proverbial dust. We love home made pasta and I don't want to make it without "assistance". I used to make it by hand in a previous life, but at this age and with lessening steam in my engines, it's not gonna happen LOL. I'm deciding between buying another hand crank pasta machine or a pasta attachment for my Viking stand mixer (similar to the Kitchenaid mixer). The attachment makes 6 different types of pasta, which includes a lasagna disc. I would use the lasagna sheet for square ravioli (ravioli are one of our favorite pastas).

Does anyone have a pasta attachment for their stand mixer and if so, do you find it works well? Has anyone used both a hand crank and a mixer attachment, and if so, which one do you like better. A good hand crank pasta maker costs about $50 and the mixer attachment runs around $70.

I make the pasta dough in my stand mixer now so I figured that it would be an easy thing to just take the dough and finish the process using the mixer attachment. If I go with another hand crank machine, there's the extra step and a bit more tedious cleaning. But if the stand mixer pasta attachment doesn't work well, then I'll stick with a hand crank one.

Any thoughts?

Comments (11)