SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgranara

Moving on is hard.

12 years ago

I'm gonna go ahead and apologize in advance for what's sure to be a long, rambling, "just thinking out loud" kind of post.

Okay, so, five years ago we moved into what we thought was our dream house. We live about 10 minutes outside of Boston in a fairly urban suburb, if that makes sense. Our house, while not huge, is 3000 sq. ft. and it often feels too big for our family of four. The house has been wondeful, don't get me wrong. We've put a lot of sweat equity into it and are now enjoying the fruits of our labor. But, (there's always a but!) lately my husband and I have been feeling that it might be time for a change. We had wanted our kids to grow up in the city we so loved growing up in (where we currently live), but I've slowly come to realize that this no longer IS the city we grew up in. I feel like a bunch of little signs that it's time to move on are being thrown in front of me...our cars were broken into weeks apart...our pumpkins were smashed all over the street on the morning after Halloween, etc. Still, I'm having hard time letting go. Back in June we started house hunting in another town(actively if half-heartedly). A couple weeks ago we found the perfect house. This property is just SO idyllic. It looks like a Norman Rockwell painting come to life. I truly feel that we'd all be happier there. The school system in this town is great and people are friendly. It's like Small Town, USA 20 minutes outside of Boston. The best of both worlds. We're pretty close to having an accepted offer worked out. Our house is supposed to hit the MLS today. And yet, I'm hesitant. I'm getting cold feet and second guessing our decision. I know it's silly - we're planning to move 15 minutes away not cross country! - and I know my family will be wonderfully happy in this new town, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm giving up on my hometown, ya know? I just needed to "say" all of this "out loud" so thanks for listening!

Comments (13)