SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

cross post: a tip for ranges with island height range trim

12 years ago

Whenever we use our Wolf AG range to roast chicken for example (using the convection fan), or cook other foods in the oven at high temps, our backsplash (tile and grout) just above the range always becomes discolored (from vented cooking grease). I can remove all or at least most of the discoloration, with various cleaners, blue scrubbies, some elbow grease, and plenty of rinsing/wiping. PITA.

I know taller range trims vent higher, and supposedly away from the backsplash. Keeping this in mind, I recently came up with my own temporary, trim extender/deflecting "shield" if you will (to see if it would help eliminate this backsplash discoloration during oven use). I took a sheet of aluminum foil, and slid the bottom edge behind my range trim, going across the entire width of the range/trim--the first time I tore off a really long sheet, and folded it in half, the second time I tore off a piece about 1/2 the width of my 36" range, and then tore it in 1/2 lengthwise (so I didn't need to use up as much foil). I slightly angled/curved the top edge of the foil forward (away from the backsplash). It worked like a charm! I roasted a chicken the other night and the backsplash looked terrific afterward (I don't think there was any discoloration, but if so it was negligible at most). When I reheated the chicken (covered) last night, I used foil "deflectors/shields" again (I hadn't cleaned the oven walls, and wasn't sure if anything would vent out onto the backsplash). Again, no trace of discoloration/grease on my backsplash.

Not sure if I will continue to use foil as a "shield" (which is disposable ) or if I will come up with something that can be reused (but would need to be cleaned and stored).

I'm passing along this tip for those who love the look of the lower/island trim height (like me), and hate having to scrub the backsplash after using the oven.

Comments (4)