SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeychurch_gw

Xpost: Miele DW/whole house h2o softener?

honeychurch
14 years ago

Hi,

Already got 2 great response on Appliances but looking for more first-hand stories.

I have been researching Miele DWs since so many people here seem to love them. I know they come with a built-in water softener, but I already have a whole house water softener (well water was VERY hard). In fact, we got the house softener because we noticed our KA DW could not get anything clean plus was leaving chalky white stuff on everything--it's made an amazing difference!

Anyway, I found an old post or two about the softener issue and there seems to be no consensus on how to hook up the Miele DW:

Some say bypass the house softener and use the DW softener.

Some say bypass the DW softener and use the house softener. (but someone had a issue with this because the softness was 0; she had to make the water slightly hard to avoid etching?)

Some say if you have a whole house softener you should avoid Miele altogether.

Also there seems to be a question of whether it should be hooked up to hot or cold water.

Do they make a DW without a softener--I guess I will be paying for a feature I don't really need?

Any thoughts/exepriences from people with already softened water and a Miele is appreciated!

Comments (2)