SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine_n_pc

now or later

sunshine_n_pc
14 years ago

Live in Florida, high heat and humidity. House is about 2800 sq feet, a/c stays on 70ish year round. 7 people in house, 5 dogs. With laundry, showers, dishwasher, pool pump, and a/c we are using a lot of elect. Power bills are ridiculous - $250 to $500 a month. Heat pump is a little undersized (so we've been told)and is over 10 years old. We have replaced all windows to double pane low e glass, we added insulation to attic, and replaced all of duct work that was accessible - even cut out part of joists to install a larger trunk line to duct work. All of this made the house more comfortable but did not bring down powerbill. A/C still runs all day during the summer and the temp slowly increases during the day - upstair rooms are uncomfortable to me.

So, finally, we have the money to tackle the next project of replacing the unit. With 5 kids - 3 just recently adopted (adding to our financial concerns) - money is always a concern. I want to make the most of our money - getting the most efficiency we can to lower our power the most we can - $500 is a killer bill.

So, my question is.... Should I go ahead and do this now or is there a better time that I will get better deals? Will I save money - thus being about to afford more bang for my bucks - by waiting until fall or winter? Or, with the economy the way it is - am I going to get good deals now? Sounds like I just missed some rebates that have been happening.

Opinions, thoughts, ideas?

Comments (3)