SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

What's your favorite fashion accessory?

tinam61
11 years ago

Thanks to Funky for this post LOL!!

I think I dress pretty stylish - so I've been told. I work on a college campus and while I do not want to look like I'm trying to "look young", I want to be somewhat trendy and some unique aspect to my "style".

I'm a pants gal. Pants, crops, capris, occasionally jeans, yoga pants, etc. I rarely wear dresses or skirts. Skirts more than dresses. I love black and love bright colors. Pinks and turquoises are my favorites and with my coloring (fair with dark hair, dark eyes) thankfully brights are my friends. I can't tell you how many pairs of black pants I have. Every style LOL. Of course I wear other colors but black is my staple. I love jackets, cardigans, etc. Even the occasional poncho. A shirt worn with a cami.

People always comment on my necklaces. I like funky, different necklaces. Love different textures and colors. Also scarves (thanks Funky!!). They can do so much for an outfit. I recently wore one of those kind of ruffled ones - pinks/browns/blacks with a pink cardigan and black pants. I got a ton of compliments on that and many people specifically mentioned the scarf. A friend recently gifted me with one of those crocheted scarves - crocheted from the tiny thread and very ruffled looking. Turquoise, coral, lime green. I'll wear it with a turquoise jacket and jeans.

If I wear a scarf, I'll generally try to wear a great bracelet in place of a necklace. I think accessories can really make an outfit. What are some of your favorites?

tina

Comments (59)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I am terrible with accessorizing, both myself and my home. ;)
    That's why I love summer, when I can just throw on a dress and sandals. I do always wear earrings, lately just a new pair of diamond studs my husband gave me for my birthday. And in the last couple of years I have gotten into necklaces. I'd like to wear more scarves, but have trouble figuring out the best way to wear them.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Jterrilynn, I love your vintage brooch! A large, interesting brooch on a coat, especially in contrast to a black coat, is such a striking touch. (Since you live in FL, I guess you don't wear a coat often!).

Scarves are hard to finagle. Being petite, there seems to be more scarf than me sometimes!

• Related Discussions

What is your best and most beloved reblooming old-fashioned rose?

Q

Comments (48)
    This is a great question, I've enjoyed all the posts. I haven't had a real rose garden since 1995. The bloom I most looked forward to then was not remontant, but the best moment in that garden was when Madame Legras de St. Germain threw out her sweet, prolific blooms up the front of the garage and over the door. I am still in structural mode in my new garden, improving soil and building paths and arbors, etc. It will probably be 3 more summers before I plant new roses. So hard to wait!!! @ gardenerzone4- Molineaux should be fine for you, I saw it growing in the Minnesota Arboretum this summer. I believe they used soil and mulch at the base of the plant for winter protection. DH is trying to convince me to grow it since he is a philosopher who loves the name as well as the color.-- Also, I am curious about your italian roses, what do you do to winter protect them? Erin
    ...See More

Any Tips for using ecofriendly bags as a fashion accessory?

Q

Comments (1)
    Etsy seems like it would be a great source for what you are looking for.
    ...See More

Your favorite kitchen countertop accessory

Q

Comments (24)
    Kris: Faster than trying to find my camera, here's the link to my kettle (it is more handsome in person - a perfect red and so shiny!) Who knew the look of a kettle could make me so happy! Glad, I didn't have to make too many changes in the kitchen, based on pets or kids (the knobs of my stove pull off and can be stored elsewhere - due to curious kids, not cats, obviously). I wish, though, that I could design a kitchen where an alarm goes off when I'm about to step on Norman 's tail(the old cat, seems to rush up behind me when I'm at the fridge or stove). I did manage to pick a granite, that on the smaller sample, matches one of my former cats perfectly (she is on kitty holiday with my parents, enjoying more cat-wants-in-cat-wants-out freedom). So we've named the counter Susan, in her honour. (Caused some confusion when I called my DH to say that I found a countertop that looked just like Susan - Susan also being the name of his ex....., but I'm off topic). Okay, back to the coutertop decorative item! Here is a link that might be useful: Candied apple red kettle
    ...See More

Post your favorite accessories

Q

Comments (42)
    I'm with Roses, plants are my favorite accessories. Right now I'm a 100% focussed on my inside and outside plants/flower gardens. Here's a new plant stand I bought a few weeks ago. I have plants all through the house. This isn't a great picture. Here's a picture I took a couple of weeks ago, it's just a tiny portion of a large cottage flower garden I'm growing. And THIS is my kitchen fixture. Lizzie, the little kitten we found in the backyard a year ago this summer! What a keeper! She's figured out the granite is a cool place to rest. :)
    ...See More
  • tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

In my opinion, a gal can never have too many pairs of black slacks for cooler weather and GOOD khakis for warmer weather. Throw in a a few pairs of brown and charcoal and I am good to go.

Must have my white and khaki capris in the summer and lots of cute sandals and flip-flops.

When I find nice fitting, true knee-length shorts (I'm talking about 11-12 inch length) I will buy white and khaki. I found an awesome pair of Anne Klein white, TO THE TOP OF THE KNEE-CAP shorts at Sam's Club of all places last year and love them! Should have gotten the khaki color. I don't look frumpy with them on.

But of course, these are staples, not accessories.

Love my gold and silver hoops - never leave home without them.

Pretty bracelets and necklaces; love ankle bracelets and toenail polish, but can't stand polish on my finger nails.

I absolutely HATE rings (yeah, I know - something wrong with me).

I am trying to get into scarves - looking for skinny ones so they don't make my double chin and short neck look fatter :). My DD tells me I just need to get the thinner, light weight ones and just let them hand loosely.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

hahaha cat_mom-- me too!

Unfortunately, I can't wear earrings anymore-- I ripped the crap out of my holes with the heavy earrings of the 80s. I am also somewhat limited in the jewelry I can wear because I have a metal/nickel allergy.

I wear a Heather Moore necklace with custom-designed charms more than anything else in my jewelry box. It's very personal.. unique and interesting.

I also have a pretty wide variety of rings, bracelets and necklaces. Some are simple and classic.. most are funky artisan pieces. I also have a trollbead bracelet that I wear pretty regularly.. and a ridiculous number of beads that I can trade out. This time of year, it's a collection of black, brown, ivory and gold beads.

Also love scarves! All kinds-- winter scarves, fashion scarves, wraps, ponchos.. you name it! I love the texture, the drama and the color they add.

I am not much of a hat person-- but I love cowboy boots!

Here is a link that might be useful: Heather Moore Jewelry

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Ahhh, yes - cowboy boots! I have fallen madly in love with just about everything made by Corral. I treated myself to these for my birthday this year, and I love wearing them:

Jterrilyn, that brooch is lovely! (I'm also proud of us for not calling it a "broach" ... ;-))I have a few that belonged to my grandmother, and I like to pin them on jacket lapels or a sweater.

I came across this cute video on how to tie a scarf 25 different ways. I think the Braid is pretty cool, and want to give that one a try the next time I wear a scarf.

Here is a link that might be useful: 25 Ways to Tie a Scarf

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Oh I love those boots!!!
    Stinky, there are only a few days out of the year where I need a coat. And, boo hoo its most always too hot for boots.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

LOL, Sunny! You mean you didn't want to the broach the brooch issue? Having jewels that belonged to your grandmother is so nice.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I absolutely love bracelets, not just one at a time but several. Usually I have a good 3" of bracelets, sometimes one large w/several small, two matching(close in size, not style), or a bunch of small ones, usually beaded. Most of what I have are metallic, everything from pewter to bronze, with and without crystals/stones. One of my favorites is a turquoise w/gold, and found earrings that match quite well~looks great with an all black outfit.

I love earrings too, but not little diamond studs. I have earrings that match the bracelets, but are not a set. I like hoops, but wear other styles also.

As for necklaces, i'm not short on those either!LOL I'll wear either earrings/bracelets, or necklace/earrings, never all three accessories.

Have bought 4 scarves for the fall/winter season, and a brown pair of cowboy boots. Jen, I love yours!!

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

It's definitely jewelry for me. I feel naked without earrings, always have a ring on each hand (unless I'm gardening), and love necklaces. I have 3 gorgeous wrist cuffs that I wear occasionally, but bracelets and cuffs end up irritating my wrists after a while. I hardly ever wear brooches. Jterrilynn, yours is gorgeous!
    As much as I love shoes, I can't walk in even 2" (high)heels, so that cuts off a great possible accessory right there. Love my boots, though! Jen: those are seriously TDF!!!!!!
    I'm just starting to get wear scarves a bit, thanks to you all here that gave me a few great 'Scarves for Dummies' links.
    Lynn

• hhireno
    11 years ago

My neck is usually cold and I can't stand turtlenecks so I wear a lot of scarves and pashminas. This is another video about
    How to tie a scarf

Once it's time for scarves that usually means no more necklaces or earrings that dangle because I find the metal too cold to be touching me. It's ridiculous how a little bit of metal touching me sends such a shiver through me but it does and it makes me cranky (crankier?) and I put them away until spring.

I'm back to wearing a few pair of post earrings and the one silver pair that sort of dangle but not very long so they don't get bumped into my skin from coat collars or scarves.

I have quite a few pins that I wear on my jackets and coats.

Speaking of coats, I finally caught up on my Downton Abbey episodes and there were so many coats & clothes I loved. But I'm not built long and lean, like Mary and Cora, so those clothes wouldn't work for me. But oh were they lovely.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I go out for what, 5 hours, and a fun, Lively fashion thread has appeared!

Yes, to all the above. I love it all: jewelry, scarves, handbags, watches and yes, Boots! (but not cowboy, sorry)
    Just bought a new pair and love them!
    My favorite outfit is a straight, casual skirt (most likely thin wale corduroy or velvet) a little above the knee with boots and in warmer fall weather, knee socks. In cold weather, tights.

Today I wore a shortish ( no teenager would consider it short but it was over the knee) jean skirt, my new OTBT petaluma boots, a fitted jersey long sleeved tee in ivory and an ivory EB down vest.
    Blingy fossil watch, diamond stud earrings, silver handbag. I felt great.

The only thing I can't wear is draped scarves. I wear long, woolen wintery scarves but can't wear the other kind. They look good on everyone else though (and I am sure, Tina, you rock yours!), but I am busty/hourglass and they just make me look fat.

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

I am so boring. In fall and winter, my favorite accessory is a strand of pearls. Today I am wearing black skinny cords, black ballet flats, a grey cashmere turtleneck sweater, black leather jacket, a red scarf and a strand of long pearls. I have a simple gold watch, diamond anniversary band on one hand, black/onyx ring on the other. No earrings as I have ear "issues" That's it.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

LOVE that look, Marlene.. yours too, Bumblebeez!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

This past summer I did a once-in-a-lifetime splurge~I purchased a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes at a Barney's outlet. The original price was, *gulp* $645, but I paid(only??)$235. They're a beautiful strappy pewter metallic, w/3 1/2" heel, and even though I haven't worn them yet, I *might* find a reason or occasion when I 'want to get my sexy on'. lol

As an afterthought, I have 3 daughters, all the same size foot, who stand to inherit them. It will depend on who finds them the most comfortable. lol

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I would say earrings, watches, and shortie pant boots with a medium stacked heel. I also have a B& W freshwater pearl necklace from DH that everytime I wear it I get a lot of compliments on it. I can wear it single or double.

I also have vintage jewelry from my mother.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I forgo to say I love those boots Sunny. I've been entering the Country Outfitters boot contest on facebook recently but in reality, nobody wears cowboy boots here. It's almost a costume look.

• User
    11 years ago

*waves* Hi Funky!

I do a little layering but I wouldn't call it trendy. I tend to wear a lot of the colors I decorate with (black, red, greens, navy, etc.). I do try and wear lighter and brighter in spring and summer, but I usually have to somewhat force myself because it's just not what I naturally gravitate towards.

I accessorize with earrings or necklaces but I have my main go to pieces.

I love plaid but the style and/or colors I'm talking about aren't flattering on me as a main piece of clothing so I lately I've been wearing it in accessories. - Not all at once!

This is my current favorite bracelet.
    {{gwi:1525296}}

I have a pair of chunky plaid earrings, a plaid J Crew headband, and I just bought a pair of plaid (gray, white, black, and red) ballerina flats that sport a bow on top.

I really want a pair of leather riding boots but I don't have much luck finding any IRL due to having a small, wide foot and a calf muscle. Even if I manage to find one that fits in all the right places I'll be somewhat limited to what I can wear them with as I don't own skinny jeans (they just don't work on everyone). *sigh*

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Bumblebeez, I've been entering the Country Outfitters giveaways on FB too, so far to no avail. ::sigh:: They recently posted a pic of a black and fuschia pair that were just stunning. I know what you mean about cowboy (shouldn't that be cowgirl? ;-)) boots being costumey. I think it all depends on where you live. I remember once I wore my boots on the plane to Cabo, and then schlepped around town in them on our first day. I felt really stupid, and couldn't wait to change into my flip flops! Here in Texas, I even see a lot of shorts with western boots. A cute look on younger girls, but definitely not a good look for older women like me.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Hi Shee!! And congrats.. I hear you are a new mother now!! Hope all is well with you and your growing family!!

Sunny, I adore the carefree look of cowboy boots with shorts--or short skirts. I don't have the legs.. and even if I did, I am far too old to carry that look off.. but I love the look and the attitude! I do still do still love the contrast of gorgeous sparkly jewelry with jeans and a tee though..

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Definitely jewelry. I have the most boring daily uniform of jeans and whatever shirt I'm in the mood for (lately with the early onslaught of winter weather here, I've been reaching for my very fashionable Lands End half-zip fleece tops), and I tend to alternate between the same two pairs of clogs, but I change my earrings and necklaces every day. I have very short hair so if I don't wear earrings, I feel naked. Thanks to DH, I have a nice collection of jewelry, most of it artsy stuff but I have gotten a few blue Tiffany boxes over the years too!

Today after school I am headed to the mall with my 11 yo DD, looking for shoes for her and knee-high boots for myself. I have big calves so I think it's going to be quite a search, but I bought a dress recently that is just begging for knee-high brown boots...

• tinam61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love reading all these responses.

Bumble - you worry too much! Don't worry what is popular with everyone - set a trend! LOL Re the scarves - I'm also hourglass - and short - so I bet you could pull off a scarf - you are tall! I actually think they help lengthen my torso - I never wrap mine too much - so that I always have a long piece hanging down. Anyhoo - I think you should experiment and probably you could pull one off.

I like boots on other people but I rarely wear them. I am warm natured and we don't get a long period of really cold weather - usually! Also, I hate my feet covered up, so boots is really pushing it for me. I wear them only occasionally. I'm not the type to carry off cowboy boots though. I've noticed lately many of the college girls wearing them - with short skirts, short dresses and even SHORTS. Of course, I'm a bit past that look - agewise. LOL

tina

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

Not much of a fashion accessory person myself - probably attribute that to not having alot of time to deal with that kind of stuff and preferring things that are simple, clean lines, not fussy. I have a few pieces of fine jewelry - diamond necklace and earrings and pearl necklace and earrings. That's pretty much the only jewlery I wear - mostly the diamonds. Probably my biggest extravagance is a few Brighton handbags that I switch out each season - spring, summer, fall, winter. I did go crazy and buy a Brighton bracelet to wear with a sleeveless dress to a wedding this summer and much as I love the bracelet, I never wear it because it drives me crazy when working on a computer. Overall pretty simple, practical and boring.

• User
    11 years ago

For me, accessories are either a scarf, a string of pearls, or both. And cute reading glasses. I wear almost the same thing every day--- right now I have on side zip slacks in dark khaki with a navy viscose/silk ribbed turtleneck, chanel scarf, brown brogues, gold watch, earings and bracelet. No rings. And tortoiseshell reading glasses that I push up on my head when not using them so they function as a headband. I have slacks in black, brown, khaki, gray, olive and navy for fall/winter in a variety of cottons to wools, and the same turtleneck in every color. I usually wear a blazer and scarf-- I have collected many over the years, from Hermes to Echo, and love the variety and pattern they give an outfit. In summer the slacks are linen and cropped, with twinsets in spring and early fall and tanks/linen shirts in summer. Same accessories with most everything---I have other earrings but usually only wear the pearls or gold for everyday. I rotate handbags but mainly stick to the old reliable coaches because they are so spacious, brownish black for winter and a slightly metallic light gray/silver for summer. And that's it.

I buy cute reading glasses online from Peepers, and coordinate them with outfits. I have them in every color of the rainbow!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Your "uniform" sounds wonderful, Kswl! Your style is the epitome of "classic." I love that! Trendy is fun, but what you're doing sounds so timeless & elegant (but still casual & comfortable!). It's great that you have come up with a "formula" that works well for you.

Any photos of your scarves (or other accessories) you could share? Would love to have a peek at your stuff that's so chic!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Jen, but those cow'girl' boots sure look great w/skinny jeans or stretch pants! It's like big lips~when you're young you hate them, but when you find out how sexy they're perceived it's a different story. In my case it's skinny legs~as a kid I hated them, but now look at them as being able to wear a variety of pants, including the skinny ones! ;o)

• User
    11 years ago

Stinky, you are being incredibly nice about my sheer laziness! I am not a clothes shopper, so when I find something I like I get it in every color that works. I have been in a multi-decade rut for clothes, and my hair is in the same chin length bob I've worn since my teens. Luckily it all still works with a little updating every now and then! No photos of my scarves but I will take one this weekend :-)

• golddust
    11 years ago

I love cowboy boots. On my birthday, I placed an EBay bid on a pair that is closing on Sunday. Crossing my fingers. They were only worn twice and originally cost $500. I'm in love. The original owner bought the wrong size, without consideration for the pointy toes.

I feel naked without a necklace. No earrings but my current favorite necklace was made by firefly. I get compliments every single time I wear it.
    There is one on EBay but I'm on my iPad and for the life of me, I can't find a link to the auction using my app. It is called "Firefly v necklace." mine is the bright one with a turquoise bead. I love it.

Everyone thinks I'm an artist because of the way I dress. If I had a quarter for every time someone asked me that, I'd have a bit of money saved up in that account. Don't ask me what that means or even if it is a compliment. Lol I love casual dresses, tights, boots, skinny jeans with tunics that give me an hourglass figure. I'm a Stacy and Clinton devotee when it comes to the shape of my clothes. I love my jean jacket over dresses.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Figured out if I go through my search engine instead of my EBay app, I can copy links.

My necklace is second from the top in the group picture

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefly V necklace

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Kswl... a pic of your elegant scarves would be great! Btw, I love a chin length bob! You sound tres chic.

Whoo-wee, that sure is purdy, Golddust. I can see why people can't resist it...it's striking! And you ARE an artist...an artist at living! (Tell them that next time!).

• tinam61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I might have to have one of those necklaces Goldie - I like that one 4th down also.

tina

• golddust
    11 years ago

Tina, you won't be sorry. It seems to go with everything. I have a similar necklace in earthy tones too.

Sunny, I'm FB friends with your boot company and have yet to win either. The boots I'm hoping will be mine are shorty (peewee) boots with cut outs. Haven't checked to see if I am still the high bidder.

I have a hard time pulling off really tall boots as they hit me in the wrong place. Every time I try to wear them, I end up giving them to Aimee. She has long legs and can pull them off.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Tina, I get the most compliments on my jewel tone necklace. Not so much on my earth tone necklace that is very similar. It brightens up everything from black to tangerine. I had a teenage boy (bagger at grocery store) me that he liked my necklace! Now that is something.

Stinky, you are so kind.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do not wear earth tones. I don't even wear all black - wear alot of black but prefer color near my face. Is the one I like earth toned? I'll have to look closer. I thought it was black with brights - but less brights than the one you have. I love the one you have. Does it have some black in it? Maybe I should go with that one.

tina

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

There are letters next to the necklaces. I'm thinking Golddust's is MCG. I think the one you like Tina, is MCJ. I like A! I wear a lot of purple. But MCG seems to have some purple in it too. ST has warm earth tones.

I haven't gotten into buying the Ebay way, but it appears other places sell Firefly jewelry, including Amazon.

• golddust
    11 years ago

I bought mine in a brick and mortar store locally. There is some black in my necklace. I have yet to find something it does not match.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Those are very pretty, golddust. I googled them the other night when you mentioned them!
    Do you happen to know what the metal is? I couldn't find it listed but I didn't read deep either.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Don't know what the metal is... It's fake.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I love those necklaces! DH has been asking for Christmas gift ideas for me and now I have at least one! Will be hard to choose though since they're all so pretty.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Lots of great ideas here. Thanks so much for sharing everyone.

My accessory use has gone up since I discovered etsy. So many lovely things for very little money. I just ordered a kind of accessory for my co-teacher for Christmas. She has a gorgeous big camera that she uses all the time. I got her a camera strap cover in some funky fabric from a shop on etsy. I hope she likes it.

• golddust
    11 years ago

Won my boots, Sunny!

Here is a link that might be useful: My new boots

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Gold, those are wonderful! I love them! Congrats on winning ... I know you're going to enjoy those!
    :-)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

During the cooler months, my black leather jacket, w/black boots, either suede or leather are my go tos. Works w/ skinny jeans or stretch pants. This is what the *new* 70 looks like. LOL

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

patty-cakes said:

" my black leather jacket, w/black boots, either suede or leather are my go tos. Works w/ skinny jeans or stretch pants. This is what the *new* 70 looks like. LOL"

Way to go patty-cakes. At almost 65, I feel very comfortable with that look.

• golddust
    11 years ago

I love this fashion forward crowd. I feel like I can almost tell where you live by the description of your wardrobes.

Yep, I'm a Californian through and through.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Now I ain't talkin' knee-high, with 4 " heels. Just wanted to set y'all straight. LOL

Goldie, i'm now a TX 'chic', but 'retained' my CA fashion sense when I moved here. Cow'girl' boots are nothing new to me either. ;o)

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

gold, lovely boots; I am looking at the short studded ones, wish I could try them in person.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I'm probably way past being able to pull off "rock star cool", and it's not like I need another pair of "winged" boots but I have asked Santa (ok, DH) for these for Christmas. They are funky and fun, and I just love 'em!

• golddust
    11 years ago

Sunny, have you seen the Rocketbuster boots? They are a must see brand. They turn up on EBay from time to time. Love them!

I know. I should have posted a link. Sorry. google them.

• joanie_b
    11 years ago

Sunny - I LOVE those boots!
    I love cowgirl boots too but I'm a bit more conservative style and price-wise with my Ariat Heritage boots - wouldn't mind a pair of those winged ones myself though.
    When I was in Denver this spring, I lusted after every just about every pair at Cry Baby Ranch.

My favorite accessories are scarves and I love my big Silverlake Flap purses by The Sak.

Dang Goldy, those Rocketbuster boots are nice but whoa.... way too pricey for my blood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Groovy Rocketbuster Boots, if you have some extra thousands of dollars laying around.

• joanie_b
    11 years ago

Sunny, if you haven't already read about her, you might be interested in knowing a little about the adorable young woman in your '25 Ways to Wear a Scarf' link.
    Very inspirational and amazing, to say the least - link is below.

I love the other, equally entertaining and exceptionally well done, fashion videos on her YouTube channel (Wendy's Lookbook).

Here is a link that might be useful: About Wendy Nguyen - Wendy's Lookbook

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County