SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Will Oprah's readers buy these clothes?

alisande
16 years ago

I admit that although I like to look nice, I have little knowledge of or interest in fashion, and I further admit that the following is one of my pet peeves. Okay, that was my disclaimer.

I'm looking at the current issue of O Magazine, and of course I was interested in a photo feature entitled, "Look 10 Pounds Thinner (Without Losing Weight)." It did offer some useful advice. But the prices on most of the clothes just seem so completely unrealistic, at least to me.

They put a substitute teacher (who's also a "tourism consultant") in a sheath dress that costs $1,100. I don't know what a tourism consultant is or how much money they make, but I don't know any substitute teachers who could buy that dress. (Of course, probably somewhere is a subsitute teacher whose husband is an oil company executive.)

Moving along, we have my favorite example of buying excess: a plain white blouse for $600. It's a plain white blouse, for heaven's sake. Buttons down the front, and a regular pointed collar. For $600. Oh, and the model (who is a "dating consultant") is also wearing a little green jacket. Like a short suit jacket. It costs $1,210.

Then we have a high school English teacher. Her union must have gone on strike this past year and gotten a massive raise, because she's wearing navy wide-leg pants (they look like your standard polyester with elastic waist, but what do I know?), but the price on them is $548. Which makes her $195 tank top seem like a bargain.

They didn't list the price of the long dress worn by the last model (a freelance writer). I guess it was too scary.

My question is: What percentage of Oprah's readers do you think would be tempted to go out and buy this stuff?

It's always possible I'm in the minority on this. But that's okay. Someone who dislikes debt, reality TV, and soda is used to being in the minority. :-)

Susan

Comments (23)