SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
collage5

questions about top loading washing machines

collage5
10 years ago

Hi,
I've spent about 2 hours reading about washing machines as our 10+ year old maytag front loader will cost $500 to fix so we're in the market for a new one.

I've decided I want a top loader for a number of the reasons I've seen on many of the threads here. I do not want an agitator. My question is: what is the difference between a top loader HE and, well, not an HE. So many recommend Speed Queen and I will look at them but my sense is that they are not HE. Should I care? Does it make a difference to (1) how clean my clothes are? (2) my energy bill? (3) my water usage?

I saw a thread that led me to believe energy usage isn't THAT variable and I'll check the yellow energy labels when I go to the store but I live in California and water usage is another issue. We're facing a drought and very possibly water rationing so I want to factor that into my decision making. But can't I set my own water level on a non - HE model?

If anyone can help me understand the differences between HE and non- HE I'd really appreciate it.

Comments (4)