SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocket9_gw

Minisplit - clogged drain line

rocket9
14 years ago

Hi, I have a mini-split air conditioner that has a clogged drain line (again, it also happened 3 years ago, and I called a technician at the time).

This time, I want to save the costs for a technician and do it myself. My problem is getting clear access to the drain line. The indoor unit is installed approximately 12 feet from the ground, close to some stairs...

So far, I have removed the cover, and tried to unclog the drain line using a tye wrap (not quite long enough), a small wire (jams up in the elbow of the drain line).

My next try will be to use a Shop-Vac to suck out all the water plus unclog, but ideally, I need to pivot(or remove if I have no choice) the indoor unit to get better access. I seem to recall that, last time, the technician was able to rotate the unit to get clear access to the drain line without removing the unit (the top of the unit seemed to be on some type of hinge) so he was able to pull the bottom part of the unit away from the wall.

Is this possible ??? If it doesn't quite work, what is the approximate weight of a typical indoor unit (12,000 BTUs) ? (my wife will surely want to kill me if I get injured trying to save $50 unclogging a drain line).

Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County