SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momwalkin

vented or unvented attic or radiant barrier....

15 years ago

We live in a hot humid climate. When we built our house 9 years ago, it was standard to build vented attics and to locate your hvac system in the attic.

I am now reading on different web sites that it is a really dumb idea to locate hvac units in a vented attic in this type climate! Makes sense to me now that I think about it.

Our house is constructed with ICF's and our energy bills are astronomical. We are consuming 120+ kwh/day.

We have a complicated roof system consisting of 10/12, 12/12, 10/12 pitch, resulting in an enormous attic space.

Our energy monitor shows our consumption at night is about the same as during the day until about 4 a.m.

Our theory is that the large attic space is retaining heat, which results in our hvac system working harder...

Should we consider converting our vented attic to an unvented attic? Is it fiscally feasible to attempt such a feat?

We have ridge and soffit vents. Should we ventilate better and add insulation to duct work? Or maybe consider some type of radiant barrier?

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Comments (7)