SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Last Question before I bite the bullet--DUCTS

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

My remaining debate on upgrading my system centers on a 2.5 ton unit vs a 3ton unit. I have learned a lot from these forums. Some things I can control (the type of programmable thermostat) some thing I can not---like finding some darn vendor to do a load calc---which is reccomended. No one will wants to do it. I won't go into details but the BEST vendor I have found, who was the most thorough in measuring things, examining house blue prints etc recommends a 2.5 ton outside unit paired with a 3 ton eqivalent unit inside varaible speed blower. I just want to be sure the outside unit should not be a 3 ton as well since I understand that might assist in staying out of the emergency heat, longer, in the winter.

His concern is my ducts---not sure why? So I saw a few of you real techies could sometimes tell a lot about a sytem by the duct work sizes.

I appear to have two silver ducted 9 X 14 ducts runing in my basement, one 24 feet long. One is 22 feet long. There are 7 runs to first floor vents. It appears that 7" metal piping is attached to the ducts---it could be 6.5 but when I stuck my ruler up it looked like 7. Upstairs I have an additional 8 ducts. 2 are for bathroom. The rest in bedrooms. I can not tell how these things splt and such but I think they come off the main duct in some sort of flatter oval metal pipe. I see at least two areas the branch up and perhaps split from there.

I realize this is not much to calc with but is there enough information to disprove a 3 ton system on the outside?

The home is 20 years old with 20 year old windows and doors. Insulation appears to be decent. The current unit is the original 2.5 ton trane system. I leave the thermostate on 70 and it very cool on the first floor and anywhere from 72 - 74 upstairs. Heat was pretty much uniform thru the house in the winter...70 degrees. I did not notice the emergency heat light on often but who knows whats going on as we sleep. Finally, the system is fairly quiet though nosier dowstairs since I adjusted the dampers in the first floor ducts to force more air upstairs. We may finish the basement one day and I am not sure if that should be alloteed for in this unit, or if heating the basement is better handle thru some other means.

This job will be done in the fall..with on Tane system or the other.

Comment (1)