SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Had a phone call this morning ... about my computer

joyfulguy
12 years ago

There was a virus in it, he said, and he'd show me how to fix it.

When I demurred, he asked whether my computer was on, and when I said it wasn't, he said to turn it on.

I asked where he was calling from, and when he said "Florida", I told him that my service provider had nothing to do with Florida.

He said that this was related to Windows, and had nothing to do with my service provider - and I told him that Windows was out of Washington.

I told him that my computer wasn't here, that it was at the shop being fixed ... and that a lot of us old folks don't have computers.

I guess that I should have told him that in the first place.

I hadn't thought to tell him that I don't have a connection to the internet at my home, either.

Anyway - no guy calling on the phone, unannounced and unrequested, is about to tell me what stuff I should do, at his direction, to get rid of a virus that he knows is in my computer!

He didn't seem to hear when I suggested that maybe he'd be telling me how to get a virus ... and then his company could tell me how to get rid of it ...oh, yes, he did - he said that he wouldn't be suggesting that I bring anything in to it.

When my computer wasn't available ... he sort of lost interest (in a bit of a hurry?).

I hadn't got around to telling him that I'd be no more inclined to follow instructions on fixing my computer from someone calling me unheralded than I would be to giving my credit card number over the phone to an unknown someone making a similar phone call.

ole joyful

Comments (8)