SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

low fiber diet for the next three days

Lars
9 years ago

On Tuesday I am scheduled for a colonoscopy, and the instructions say that two days before, I am supposed to avoid fibrous foods, fruits with skins, and seeds (poppy, sesame, caraway). So I bought some bananas at Trader Joe's, since I will peel them before eating them. Does this fall into the category of low fiber? I also bought some sourdough bread and Brie and Camembert, since I thought that white bread would be low in fiber. What about potatoes, providing I peel them? I am assuming that I should avoid beans!

Our counter tops and sink are in, but we do not have the faucet connected yet, and so Kevin wants to continue eating out. Tonight we had Persian food - grilled lobster kabob and chicken kabob with peppers, onion, tomato, and saffron Basmati rice. I had lentil soup as a started, so that I could avoid salad, but I will not be eating any more lentils for the next few days. I also bought some yoghurt at TJ's, but I will not be eating fruit with it.

Is there anything I am missing? What are the best low fiber foods to eat for the next few days? I am assuming that nuts are out, as well as whole grains, but is white flour okay? I have some cucumber, tomato, and onion salad that I made recently, but I only partially peeled the cucumbers. Are tomatoes high in fiber? I assume that lettuce is.

Lars

Comments (62)

• Lars
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My three years are up, and so I am back on this diet. I have my next procedure this Friday, and so I am back on the low residue diet for today and tomorrow, and then on Thursday, I have the clear liquid diet.

I do have detailed instructions, and they also state that I must mix my formula with the Gatorade tomorrow and refrigerate it. I still have a bit of anxiety about this, and we are going on our trip on Sunday, but I have Saturday to finish packing and getting everything in order.

I was glad to find this thread again, as I found helpful information in it, including in some of the links. I think I have the diet down this time. The hardest part will be downing all the Gatorade.

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

Have they told you to avoid red coloured Gatorade and jello? They did when I had my colonoscopy. We don't mix the Moviprep with Gatorade here. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. The Moviprep is pretty disgusting on its own, and I don't really care for Gtorade either...

• Related Discussions

2-day diet

Q

Comments (1)
    This sounds interesting. I enjoyed this forum so much and got a lot of help from it and then so many left to form a private group on facebook. It doesn't pertain to diets. I wish there was some way we could get this one active again. We used to weigh in once a week and post our weight. It sure helped. I am on prednisone and gained a lot of weight. The dosage was lowered and although I am still on a maintenance dosage, I did manage to lose 44 pounds. I've regained 10 over the last year and I'm not one bit happy about it. I'm on blood thinners, too so have to keep my Vitamin K level. That complicates things, too. I so very much miss the encouragement here. All the best in your effort.
    ...See More

Diverticulitis, anyone? Despite high fiber diet?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, hope you feel better now. I am not sure if I have diverticulitis. A month ago I had some raw garlic and for a week felt awful in my stomach. I then took some medication I have taken many times over the years and again it seemed to hurt my stomach a lot despite never having hurt it before. My stomach is in constant agony. Like a severel period pain that never lessens or goes. Same whether I eat or drink lay down stand up or sit. I sit and cry. I am at my wit's end with it. Cannot work or go out or anything. I saw three doctors - uk - first one said ulcer and gave me the usual for that - for a few days it helped but then was far worse and had to stop taking them. Second doctor said it was a urine infection - which seemed to ignore that I had no other symptoms at all (?) and said to take antibacterial tablets,. Third one said it is gerd and very minor (!).. He said to take the tablets for ulcers that make me feel worse. I have insisted on a urine, stool and blood test which will all take about three weeks. I am petrified of what this is and coping in meantime. Painkillers make no difference. I have read that with some people who have diverticular flaxseed oil can help, as can fish oil and fibre. But this is just from looking through google past few days in an effort to get to grips with things. Would be good to hear from others with similar thoughts and experiences.
    ...See More

"low residue diet"

Q

Comments (3)
    I can see some pasta dishes in my near future, lol. I haven't made stuffed canneloni or fetticini alfredo in ages. Yeah, I can love a crispy baguette for toasting. Might make a quiche. I'll miss my very high fiber NutriBullet drinks in the mornings most of all. I'm not sure what will taste good for breakfast. Thanks, Susan, for the reminder about icy jello. My mother used to pour jello over cracked ice for us when we were sick. I also remember drinking hot jello.
    ...See More

Need low sodium/low carb diet for dog with seizures please ?

Q

Comments (19)
    "his dog treats (which is chicken jerky/dehydrated chicken breasts) are all loaded with sodium" Tammy, I lost two dogs to kidney failure within about a year of each other and I highly suspect the jerky treats I was giving them was a big part of it. I discovered later they were very high in salt. I switched to other pet treats but (and this might sound a bit gross) I always licked them to make sure they didn't taste salty. Well it was just hard to get good quality treats without salt. So I decided to try and make my own, and I bought a food dehydrator. The only thing that goes into my dogs' treats is lean meat, no flavoring, no salt, nothing so I don't need to worry about it anymore. It's actually pretty easy. I get the butcher to slice up meat nice and thin then I cut it into smaller strips and put it into the multilevel dehydrator, switch it on until they are done. I keep a bag in the fridge (not even sure if it's necessary) and put other bags into the freezer to take out when the fridge bag runs out. My dogs love them, no added flavors or salt needed.
    ...See More
  • chas045
    6 years ago

I believe that all my preps were just heaps of miralax in close to a gallon of liquid over all. I believe my first two procedures were without anesthesia, but the last one was with it and so its 'hi, how are you; now count back from 100....; OK, we'll see you in five years.' If I hadn't been so far knocked out, I would imagine I could have spotted a black dog; or a spotted dog or...

• Lars thanked cookebook
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Lars, I'd say you are rather fortunate... the powers that be required me to take several miralax along with the moviprep and Gatorade (no red Gatorade). It was nightmarish! The colonoscopy was a breeze after that : )

Lars thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • Lars
    Original Author
    6 years ago

They did say not to use the red Gatorade, and the drug store only had one bottle that was not red, and so I was lucky to get that.

I printed the Kaiser list yesterday, but none of the lists I've found say anything about chilies. I've had plain cheese grits for breakfast today and yesterday, and yesterday I added chili sauce to them which I strained through a very fine mesh screen, but I'm not having any chili sauce today. Yesterday I had mushroom white rice for dinner and nothing else. I'm saving a lot of time by making such simple meals for myself, as this is not how I normally cook.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

DB (Kevin) had his first colonoscopy at age 53 on Monday, and his results were not so good. The doctor came out to the waiting room while Kevin was recovering and showed me some of the results, including a cancer that the doctor said Kevin has had for at least three years. I'd been trying to get Kevin to get a colonoscopy ever since he turned 50, but his doctor in Santa Monica told him that he could wait until he was 60, and so he kept putting it off. Eventually, he changed doctors, partly because the SM doctor would answer his cell phone while he was supposed to be attending to Kevin. I find that very unprofessional, and I would have changed doctors the first time he did it. My sleep doctor would answer phone calls from his wife while I was in the office with him, and I definitely did change sleep doctors, but those are harder to find than regular doctors, and so I did not have that many options.

Anyway, now Kevin is going to have to have surgery to remove the cancer, and they do not know yet what stage it is in. I'm hoping it is still stage 0 so that he will not require chemotherapy, but the doctor did tell me that chemo is a distinct possibility. I'm pretty upset with Kevin's SM doctor - I cannot believe that he told Kevin that he could wait until he was 60 - he might be dead by that time. I also do not know how invasive this surgery is going to be. When our mother had colon cancer, the operation took a bit toll on her, and her life definitely changed after that, but perhaps hers was further along.

Kevin was still resisting the colonoscopy and instead gave a stool sample (along with blood tests) during his recent physical exam, and when the results came in, they told him that he must have a colonoscopy immediately. His new doctor prescribed a prep that Kevin was unable to keep down, and he vomited shortly after the first dose. I told him he must immediately call the doctor and find out what he should do next, but he put that off for a few hours, and when he did call (on a Sunday), he got voice-mail and no response until a couple of hours before he was supposed to have the colonoscopy. Because the prep did not work properly, he now has to have another colonoscopy next week, and I told the doctor to make sure that they do not prescribe the same prep. Mine was over-the-counter and worked perfectly, but Kevin's was prescription, with a warning that 8% of people cannot keep it down. I told Kevin that 8% was too much and that he should have had a different prep.

I'm a bit anxious about this and not sure what to say to Kevin any more. I am mad at him for not getting the colonoscopy sooner, but telling that will serve no purpose. I do think I need to put him on the diet that I had sooner than he did. I know he was not on the low-fiber diet for three days.

• chas045
    5 years ago

So sorry to hear about your brother. Perhaps he can be slightly optimistic that the poor prep obscured the possibility that it IS stage zero. As I mentioned above, my prep for my last three scopes was just tons of miralax which is like drinking lots of water. I admit it was somewhat hard to do even that because it is so much water. The actual prep involved drinking doses every 15 minutes for two or more hours and perhaps more earlier that I have forgotten about. I clearly remember that the prep for my first one was some horrible stuff that I had a hard time swallowing much less keeping down. I was thrilled when I heard about miralax for the prep and for regular use!!!

• nancyofnc
    5 years ago

Lars - and everyone else ---- get the %&# colonoscopy - it may save your life!!

My DH was diagnosed just 6mo after we married (age 59). Hey I had found my soulmate and colon cancer was going to take him away! After surgery and stuff 17 years later he is still cancer free and we're still planning on our 25th anniv in 7 years, and hopefully many more anniv.

If he had not gotten the colonoscopy he would have been dead in a year.

• petalique
    5 years ago

Lars, I'm sorry to hear about Kevin's situation. I wish him the best outcome. I hope you're adjusting to all of this as well. Can't say that I blame you for feeling frustrated with him, but as you pointed out, it won't do any good to say anything. He's probably quite mad at himself already.

Before my routine procedure, my doctor had me on a low residue diet for a few days, along with the regular prep. "Low residue" is not the same as low fiber, as you probably know. For example well I believe milk is low fiber, it is not low residue apparently.

It's great that you've been disciplined about getting checkups. Better to do all we can to stay healthy and catch things early. Life can be hard without getting killed on top of things. My very best to your brother.

Lars thanked petalique
  • plllog
    5 years ago

Lars, I have nothing to offer but a virtual hug, a caring ear, and lots of good wishes that Kevin comes through safely and easily. And to reinforce what you said about not telling Kevin how angry you are. Very good of you to think of that, since we usually don't filter with siblings. So here's another (((Lars))) hug and any time you want to vent, we're here to listen.

Lars thanked plllog
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Lars, you and I have already "talked" about this. Give Kevin a hug from me and tell him I'm thinking good thoughts for him, and for you too.

Annie

Lars thanked annie1992
  • Islay Corbel
    5 years ago

He's lucky to have such a caring and loving brother to help him through this. Hugs, and all hope and prayers that all goes well.

Lars thanked Islay Corbel
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Lars, I’m so sorry to hear Kevin has colon cancer, and more so that it was not discovered in a timely fashion. Not knowing how far or how much is frightening. That you and Kevin have such a close, caring relationship is a blessing for you both (I know you two already know this), and at times like this it’s even more a blessing and comfort.

For what it’s worth, my Dad had both prostate and colon cancer (one at a time). Even being high risk with annual colonoscopies, after the initial surgery to remove the cancerous polyps it was discovered his was Stage 3, having metastasized to the lymph nodes. More surgery after which Dad had chemo, which his body did not handle well, so after a few months he stopped it, choosing quality over quantity. Happily, it was enough, and he remained colon cancer-free the rest of his life. Dad was a positive man for the most part, and I will always believe that reduced stress due to positive outlook is so important. You seem like such an optimistic, caring person, Lars, and I’m sure despite your fears and Kevin’s, that will help Kevin tremendously.

Lars, as others have said before me, you have a support system here. I tend to be negative regarding the sincerity of internet/social media ‘relationships’, but this forum is another thing altogether, and people here do truly care, and our words are not empty. You and Kevin are in my thoughts and heart and I too, am sending positive thoughts your way. (((Lars))), (((Kevin))).

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

I am so sorry for the both of you. You have such a positive outlook in all things,... he has such a great brother support system. As frustrating as it is to avoid what we all hate to endure....the doctors office in all forms, it is so important to suffer through it. Positive thoughts from all of us here.

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Dearest Lars, I'm so sorry. I can't begin to imagine how overwhelming and difficult this all is. Not only the stress of watching a loved one have to go through this, but also minding every word so that you remain encouraging and advocate, educating yourself, even working out logistics. I'm extremely grateful that Kevin is being seen by a doctor that is a better fit. I will be thinking about Kevin and you too. While I know that you will be doing your very best for Kevin, remember to be kind/give yourself grace when you need it.

CathyinSWPA

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

I am a bit more positive in my outlook than Kevin, and so I can help him with that. I helped him with positive support after his divorce, at which time he was in a deep depression.

We'll find out Monday (I believe) has far the cancer has gone. I am hoping it has not invaded lymph nodes, but we don't know yet.

I do very much appreciate the support here - I don't have that many friends in L.A., and the ones I have seem to be growing further apart. I had a lot more friends when I was younger - it was easier then.

Kevin did not know he had cancer until Wednesday, even though the doctor told me on Monday. I notified our sister, and she wanted to come out to visit Kevin during his surgery, but she will be having her own surgery, and so that is not possible. She has to have both knees replaced, one at a time, and she won't be able to travel until September or October. As you may remember, we lost both of our parents in 2012, and so we don't have that for support any more either, but we are close to our nieces, especially the youngest one.

• riverrat1
    5 years ago

Lars, In 2008 I went to the Doctor because I had a terrible burning sensation in my stomach after I ate anything. The doctor decided that I needed to have the test where they go down your throat, into your stomach, to see if there was anything wrong. I forget the name of the test! Anyway, he thought I was close enough to the age of 50 to have a colonoscopy at the same time.

Everything was fine with my stomach but they found a rather large polyp that could not be removed conventionally. I was scheduled for a colon resection in 4-5 days (they really want you cleaned out and it takes several days). I went straight to the oncology floor of the hospital where I had the test. I had the colon resection, was in the hospital 5-6 days, went home and received a call that evening that the 6-centimeter polyp was non-cancerous.

I'm telling you this because not all polyps are cancerous. It may also help to relieve a little bit of stress from you. I had to have a colonoscopy every year for 5 years and now I'm on a schedule of every 3-4 years. All has been well since then and I'm hoping that all will be the same for Kevin. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

Lars thanked riverrat1
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

The survival rate for colon cancer is very high provided it is detected early and I earnestly hope that is the case with your brother.

My ex had colon cancer. Like many men, he avoided any medical issues or regular doctor's appointments like the plague but was in tune enough with his body that when he felt things were not working exactly as they should, he took himself to the doctor with no prompting. And that doctor immediately scheduled a colonoscopy.

The result were not good and he was scheduled for surgery. Unfortunately the surgery did not go smoothly although they did remove all the cancer. I won't go into the details (it was not pleasant and I wound up being a home nurse for about 8 weeks) but all that was recoverable....it was just a surgical complication that was unique to him. The good part as I said was they removed all the cancer and could not detect any spreading. Chemo was not suggested at that time.

But he was put on a 6 month cycle of colonoscopies for the next 2 years, then annual ones for another couple of years and finally back to a 5 year cycle. He has now been cancer free for 23 years!

I sincerely hope everything will work out as positively for you and yours!!

Lars thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I do expect things to turn out well eventually, but at this point, we do not know the full process.

Kevin's biopsy results confirmed that he has cancer, and so it is more than just a large polyp.

I was adding to this thread to help remind people that they do need to have colonoscopies when recommended by their doctors. According to Kevin, you can now have a stool test instead, but if that comes back positive (as his did), then you have to have the colonoscopy. I'm on a 3-5 year cycle with them now - last cycle was 3 years, but now they say I can go for 5 years before the next one, partly because the prep worked so well. If they can't see everything, they will call you in again sooner.

I'm really hoping that chemo will not be required, but the doctor did mention it to me as a possibility. Anyway, I will be experiencing mild anxiety until the surgery is over, and that won't be for another couple of weeks, it seems.

• colleenoz
    5 years ago

So sorry to hear about Kevin, and praying for a good outcome for him. (I admit, I was surprised to hear he's over 50. But then for me, everyone else is caught in a youthful time warp, just like I am.)

Here when you turn 50, and every few years after that, the government sends out a bowel cancer test kit where you post it back with tiny samples of your poo, which they test for bowel cancer.

Lars thanked colleenoz
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Lots of things all going on at once, Lars. How kind of you to think of others when sharing this information. I'm sorry that your sister won't be able to there for Kevin's surgery. That's hard, in addition to her having knee surgery. My hope is that you'll find a measure of peace through your encouragement and work on Kevin's behalf, and that you have the best and most empathetic doctors. It is wonderful that your nieces are supportive.

CathyinSWPA

Lars thanked cathyinpa
  • nannygoat18
    5 years ago

Lars, many hospitals have social workers who can provide support and advocacy during this difficult time. Best wishes for a positive outcome for your DB.

Lars thanked nannygoat18
  • Compumom
    5 years ago

Oh Lars! I've been traveling and offline for awhile. This morning I discovered your post and was distressed to read about Kevin. Sending my best wishes and good thoughts for his successful treatment and complete recovery!

Lars thanked Compumom
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jay, I especially appreciate your comments and your sharing of your experience. I also agree that people should start at age 45 with colonoscopies - or at least with the stool sample test. I am glad that you are cancer free, but I am also worried with what it will take to get Kevin to that condition. I do hope the cancer has not spread to his liver, but he has complained about pains he has in that area.

Trust me, I do cherish every day and spend a good deal of time in my yard caring for plants that bring me happiness. I also have a schedule for trying to visit the places I want to see, and so far in the past 3 years we have been to Costa Rica (Kevin's idea), Italy, Brazil, and Fiji. I have many more on my list but will not be traveling anywhere far until probably next summer.

One of my many epiphyllum blooming this year.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

Lars, I'm happy you appreciated my comments. I thought I should keep it real and let others hear my story so that they understand how serious this issue really is. And it's funny because I just had a colonoscopy about a week ago. I hope everything turns out well for your brother. I will include him in my prayers. When I found out the cancer had spread to my liver, I really thought I had very little time left. I had always assumed that if a person had cancer in the liver, they didn't have much time at all. You have picked great places for your vacations. I've always dreamed of seeing those same places myself. What better place to be than in a rainforest somewhere. Your cactus in the photo is beautiful. Like you, I'm very happy when I'm out in the garden caring for my plants. I love cooking too, that's why I was here in the first place. Great talking to you. Peace and Love......... Jay

Lars thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • plllog
    5 years ago

Lars, that is a very pretty flower, and I don't mean to be contentious, but it doesn't look like an orchid (epidendrum). Could it be an epiphyllum? Those look like epiphyllum leaves in the background, and the large star shaped flower... Whatever it's called, I'm glad you're getting solace in your garden. Many good thoughts going to Kevin for his recovery. JC

• Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, it is an epiphyllum, but I recently bought some new epidendrums, and so I guess I had that on my mind. Anyway, the flower is an orchid cactus, and I have more of those than I do orchids.

Here are the two new epidendrum that I bought in Vista, on our way back from San Diego:

There is also a new hybrid orchid in this photo, and I bought another new hybrid as well that is blooming now (not in the photo).

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Just opened this thread to see why it was revived. I'm so sorry you and Kevin are having to through this, Lars. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Kevin.

Lars thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • plllog
    5 years ago

Wow! those are classic epidendrum colors, but the flowers are so big! Very pretty! And I love the new hybrid with the hibiscus colors and ruffles. :)

• Compumom
    5 years ago

Hi Lars,

Checking in for an update on Kevin. Do you have any news to share? if you're uncomfortable, feel free to DM me.

• Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, Kevin got results on Friday, and his cancer is stage one, which means he will not need chemo but will need surgery as soon as possible. I think he will be talking with his doctor on Monday. There are two options - one is a minimally invasive surgery just to remove the cancer, but it might come back, and the second would remove three inches of his colon, but the cancer would be 100% cured - however, he would have to have a colostomy bag for 6-8 weeks, after which that would be surgically removed. At this time we do not know how much time it will require for him to recover, and I have surgery scheduled for July 30, which will put me out of commission for 3-4 weeks. I probably won't go to work the entire month of August, but I might be able to go the last week. Since I am semi-retired and part time, I do not get paid when I do not work.

August is going to be a tough month for us, and I'm not sure yet how we will work it all out. I'm afraid Kevin will not be able to pick me up from the hospital after my surgery, but a friend from San Francisco has offered to come visit us for a few days (three at most) to help with that. Our sister had knee replacement surgery on Friday and is going to have her other knee replaced as well, and so she will not be able to travel until September, at which time she has a lot of meetings that she needs to go to. One niece has also offered to visit us, and we might take her up on that.

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Just want you to know, Lars, will be keeping you and Kevin in my prayers. It's good that your niece is available; possibly, see if there are services available like nannygoat18 mentioned above -- maybe ask doctor on Monday? Take care of yourself too -- lots of balls being juggled at one time right now.

CathyinSWPA

Lars thanked cathyinpa
  • nannygoat18
    5 years ago

Echoing Cathy here.

If you’d like some colostomy tips, please DM me. There’s a lot of unwarranted fear and confusion surrounding this life saving procedure.

Lars thanked nannygoat18
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

What a summer season you are having. I just spent all morning tending my plants. The best therapy for any stress/health issues.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

Oh dear, Lars, I know you have a lot going on. However, I'm happy to hear that Kevin's cancer is at stage 1, and that he won't need chemo. You and Kevin have been in my thoughts a lot, and in my prayers every day, so I'm hoping that you both heal quickly and completely.

Annie

Lars thanked annie1992
  • Compumom
    5 years ago

What bad timing, but a sigh of relief that the cancer is at Stage 1. I hope your niece and your friend can come and help you out during this difficult time.

Lars thanked Compumom
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Bad timing? I'll say, but it's great news that the cancer is at stage 1.

FWIW, a neighbor had a ruptured colon about a year ago and had a colostomy bag for about three months and she managed, even living alone. (I think she still has no idea how lucky she is to be alive.)

Is there a possibility of getting a visiting nurse for a while?

Lars thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Lars, I know cancer at any stage is a terrible diagnosis. But as the others have said, I’m very relieved to hear it’s stage 1 with no spread. You and your brother have some very difficult times ahead, but you seem a very competent, loving man, and I’m grateful you two have one another, remaining family, and friends. No matter where encouragement, love, and help comes from – miles away or next door, it always helps. I hope you can take your niece’s offer of help. My thoughts and heart continue to be with both of you.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Sending all warm thoughts to all of you. And crossed fingers as well. This is beat-able, it was caught early.

Lars thanked artemis_ma
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It was caught fairly early, and I'm glad that he didn't try to wait any longer. We still don't know when Kevin's surgery will be, and so we still have to figure out what kind of help we will need and how to get it. If we were desperate, I'm sure we would have no trouble getting some help, but I don't expect it to get to that point. I don't think we will need a nurse to visit with. However, a nurse from my insurance company SCAN will be coming on July 29 for a free house visit as part of their program to help keep people healthy. I think I will be able to talk with her at that time about what kind of assistance I might be eligible for. I plan to get all of our food requirement taken care of ahead of time, and yesterday we did some work in the back yard, and I will do some more today, to make it easier to take care of. I have a few cuttings that I need to put into pots, but that won't take long now. The liquid food that I need for my diet I can order on line, but I still need to stock up on some supplements that I am supposed to take. Both of us are supposed to be eating a lot more vegetables, and so I am fermenting a few so that they will keep better. Fortunately, I recently bought a dozen large jars for them.

• Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kevin's surgery is scheduled for August 20, and he expects to be in the hospital (Cedar-Sinai) for four days. I will take that week off from work so that I can visit with him as needed, but I will be in my fourth week of recovery myself. At least this way Kevin can help me while I am recovering, and I can help him with his as well. He said that a nurse would come by to check on him at home after he is released.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

Lars, that's great news that your brother's cancer is only stage one, and hasn't spread. Are you having surgery too? It sounded like you said that, but I must have missed the details somewhere.

• Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, I am also having surgery on July 30, but I do not want to go into details about that here. It is nothing to be concerned about, unlike Kevin's surgery.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

That's cool. Glad it's nothing serious. What do you grow in your back yard?

• plllog
    5 years ago

Keeping good thoughts for Kevin today.

Lars thanked plllog
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Right now my back yard is pretty full of bromeliads, and I have I don't know how many different kinds, from pineapple to Portea petropolitana extensa. I also have Meyer lemon, Eureka lemon, blood orange, Kaffir lime, bay tree, white sapote, cherimoya, avocado, banana, papaya, Fuji apple, Bearss lime, and some shrubs. I also have a large collection of orchid cactus (epiphyllum) and a small collection of orchids, mostly epidendrums and cymbidiums, plus some cattelaya, dendrobium, and several others that I do not know the names of. I have one tiny orchid that makes flowers with an intense coconut fragrance. I also have quite a few South African succulents in the back yard. My dill is making flowers now, but I have basil, chives, Greek oregano, Italian oregano, and rosemary. I used to have some mint, but I don't know what happened to it. I also have a couple of chocolate Habanero plants that appear finally to be growing, but I probably won't get chilies from them until December.

Here's a bromeliad that is just now blooming after my having it almost four years:

Vriesea Mint Julep.

Here are some more bromeliads in the pergola

Here are some in the back yard in front of my pitaya plant:
    I have to keep moving them around, and some of them cannot take too much sunlight, which makes this a somewhat difficult time of year. Anyway, I am trying to make my back yard a very pleasant place to relax while I am recuperating. I very much enjoy looking at all my flowers plus the hummingbirds and other birds that visit the yard. I need to clean out the fountains, but that can wait.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

Beautiful plants! Nice work! Thanks for sharing. It's great that you have all these culinary plants too.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Lars, your back yard is a shangri la : ) Beautiful! What an extraordinary collection you have! My dill flowered and went to seed a while back (collected the seeds for pickling, replanting). I'll get a couple more growths from the dill this year. I can't kill my mint!