SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Geez, really?? meno-related jaw/tooth pain?

mahatmacat1
13 years ago

I can't believe I am so lucky as to get this newest evidently-hormone-related painful experience. I'm posting about it to find out if other women I 'know' here have had this happen...it started on Friday night, kept me from getting to sleep --my teeth ACHED, one on top and one on the bottom, I mean seriously *ached*, like they felt like they would explode. DH even went out and got me benzocaine (? the oral surface pain thing they give you before an injection of novocaine) at 3 am. Did I mention I love him? :)

Anyway, it came and went several times over the weekend--progressively more intense each time. At night when I went to bed it was always really bad. I couldnt' see any inflammation, though. Took advil and it seemed to make the pain subside. Or maybe it was just coincidental.

The dentist worked me in yesterday, took x-rays, tested the teeth with knocking on them and blowing air on them -- saw and discovered *nothing*, no decay, no loose work, nothing. He kind of sanded off the two teeth that were causing the problem, thinking it might be related to jaw-clenching (I tend to do it, but I have for *years*), but wasn't convinced and said I could come back if it still hurt.

That didn't really help. Now it's today and it's kept getting *worse*, moving to more teeth--pretty much the whole right side of my mouth! It HURTS when it hits me...takes about a half hour for it to go away. I mean it HURTS. The nerves are causing me intense pain. I can't think or focus on anything while it's happening.

So I looked it up today and it appears it's something that hits *women* more than men, more on the right side than the left, at around age 50??! I turned 50 on 9/27. So is this HORMONAL?? What a kick in the teeth! That's what it feels like--severe aching. Nothing makes it better, nothing consistently causes it -- I can eat crispy foods and get nothing, or be *not* eating and the pain attacks.

I feel like a freak...although somewhat less like one because of the internet. Has anyone else had this happen, right out of the blue? ACH it hurts now! I'm afraid to eat (o.k., maybe that's one plus LOL just kidding) -- smoothies for me until it's gone for a good long time, even though eating doesn't really seem to cause it.

Thanks if you've read this far. I am approaching my wits' end. I'm just lucky it didn't hit while I was teaching today. I really am rendered incapacitated--it's embarrassing...any tips? I'm already on a maintenance pain med for fibro, and I don't want to go on anything else to treat this symptomatically. And I don't want to go on hormones. What else is there to do? TIA so very very much from this achy person out in the PNW...

Comments (23)