SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kompy_gw

For Pete's Sake, I Can't Believe This.

kompy
15 years ago

We have a 100 yr old house and put on an addition 6 years ago. We replaced the old furnace and added central air. We did one unit for the upstairs and one for down. I love this setup because if one unit goes out, you still have heat or A/C on the other floor. Welllll, wouldn't ya know. My husband goes fishing up in Canada last week. Then, I went out for my birthday and came home to a hot house. I thought maybe I had too many drinks, because I couldn't get the fans to kick in. So, I went (fell) in to bed. The next day, I had our HVAC guy out to have a look. He couldn't believe it. In all his years, he's never seen two furnace fans go out on the same day.

It's so coincidental, I am worried that maybe something happened to them to cause them to fail on the same day. Any ideas? Our fans are variable speed blowers and the cost is $2400 for the two. OUCH! I knew it would be expensive when he said 'variable speed' (I'm a kitchen designer and I know what ventillation costs!) So, I don't want this to happen again. HVAC guy also said maybe we need to replace filters more often. We do it every 3 months. He said we need to do it once a month.

Would love to hear any feedback....or some sympathy! We had 90+ temperatures and our fans were special order and will finally get installed tomorrow. And some sympathy that my DH went fishing on my b-day! LOL.

Thanks,

Kompy

Ps. We recently installed a whole house surge suppressor. Surely, that couldn't have hurt the fans!

Comments (16)