SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iinsic

Detergent for Baby laundry

iinsic
17 years ago

I have a Calypso washer (Ok, Ok, stop laughing), and am running into the inevitable sudsing problems that occur with Dreft detergent. The baby is also experiencing exema, and I am concerned that the fragrance may be an issue.

DW wants to stay with Dreft, I am exploring options. We use Tide HE for our other washing needs, she doesn't want to use that because of a perception of harshness. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (32)

• asolo
    17 years ago

Extra rinse or two?

• iinsic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We run an extra rinse with everything because the Calypso does such a crappy job rinsing all detergents.

• Related Discussions

baby/natural detergent suggestions?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'd suggest trying an unscented detergent first - like Cheer Free or Tide Free. (All Free give me a rash just like the scented ones do, so I obviously avoid it like the plague) Skip the fabric softner, or if your dh can't live without it (lol) have him switch to an unscented version of that. I used Cheer Free when my 3 year old was a baby and he had no problems - I just made sure I didn't over do it on the detergent to not have build up issues. I've never used Dreft (the scent was so strong I opened a bottle at a friends house and had an allergy attack) but from those I do know who have used it, they all said they thought it was just as strong and "unsensitive" as regular detergents, just with a different scent and added fabric softner.
    ...See More

New HE Laundry Detergent called Laundry Dropps

Q

Comments (11)
    I would like to hear how well these pouches work and how well the detergent can be rinsed out of the clohtes. Their web site says that the pouches give just the right amount of cleaning...something like that. How do they know how much detergent I will need for a small lightly soiled load? How about a large load that has heavy soil. You surely don't need the same amount of detergent for both of these types of loads.
    ...See More

A warning about homemade laundry detergent

Q

Comments (19)
    this whole flammable pj issue is such a crock, IMHO. if your kid is in the crib during a fire, he's going to die of smoke inhalation not his pj's catching on fire. if he's running around the house, reaching across the candle you've left burning, he should be wearing his jammies, so he won't catch on fire?? what?? what if it's midday? do we not protect them then? yes, we do! we don't burn candles where they can reach, or pull on top of themselves, or maybe not at all. my DD is 14, so when she was a baby the laws were different. there was no exception for close-fitting cotton pj's. there was no exception for under 6mo. we had a heck of a time finding cotton clothes for the kid, and she sweat like a pig when dressed in poly. i'd say wash your kids clothes the way that works best for your/their noses and skin. keep your smoke detectors working. practice reasonable safety practices (ya know, like not letting the 3 yr old play with the lit candle). i'm sure you can think of something better to worry about than your kids' pj flammability (just in case you really need something to worry about)!
    ...See More

Baby-safe detergent or soap for front loaders?

Q

Comments (10)
    I have no idea about the front loaders. I don't recommend Dreft. It didn't clean clothes very well. I'd suggest trying the perfume free, dye free detergents. I think I used All, but I don't remember for sure. The "free" detergents seem to clean and they don't irritate the baby. I think I switched back to my normal detergent after the first container because babies do get adjusted to their environment after a short while. This is a little off topic, but I'll add it since I'm assuming you're worried about irritating the babies skin. Babies will often get a case of "infant acne" or a rash on their face around four-six weeks. It's not caused by detergent or improper cleaning, etc. Mother Natures chooses this way to get mom's hormones out of the baby's system. It's looks awful for a couple of weeks and then clears up. Congratulations on your baby! Adella
    ...See More
  • asolo
    17 years ago

I've heard Calypso's were bad but am surprised to learn it won't rinse well either. Many people have expressed concern about added fragrances being culpable in skin irritation. If you're having sudsing issues, too, I would also suspect risidual detergent.

Thinking perhaps some of the free/clear alternatives may be a solution for you short of another machine. Seem to recall a number of posts here about free/clear alternatives. Maybe a search using variations on that theme would turn something up.

Must add this opinion also: If I had a baby plus the concerns you've described, I'd go out and get another machine that did better. I know they're expensive, but the child comes first.

• fivefootzero
    17 years ago

Why would your husband want to stay with Dreft? It's highly perfumed, over priced, and not really gentle at all for sensitive baby skin.

I as well as my 2 year-old daughter have hypersensitive skin and eczema. My husband has really bad psoriasis. I have been using All Free and Clear without any problems since before my kids were born right up until the present day. Arm & Hammer also makes a free and clear detergent that works well too.

My opinion is that fragrance in the Dreft is most likely aggravating the eczema.

Adding an extra rinse or two wouldn't hurt either.

• fivefootzero
    17 years ago

My apologies...I said your husband rather than your wife. So sorry.

• iinsic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My wife loves the smell of Dreft, plus her perception of its' gentleness. We have not concluded that detergent is the culprit. Could be, and is more likely, diet related, so we are doing some process of elimination testing. Also, given it's winter and we're in Detroit, it could be irritation simply related to cold, dry air. Having said all that, I'm willing to test the theory that it could be detergent related and was just looking for advice.

Although I'd like to pull the trigger on a new washer, I'm not ready to do that due to this issue until all the facts are in. I'd like to add that through a bunch of trial and error, I've gotten to the point that the Calypso doesn't generally do a bad job for us and with the extra rinse, I'm OK with how the detergent gets out. However, that doesn't mean it's rinsing the baby's clothes out enough for his skin not to notice. I just know that our detergent doesn't suds nearly as much as the Dreft, so it's logical to conclude that residual detergent MAY be a problem with his clothes. Also possibly solved through trial and error with quantity of Dreft. Sometimes you guess wrong, however.

Fivefootzero, thanks for the suggestion on the All product. Is that, or does it come in, an HE formula?

• fivefootzero
    17 years ago

I use the All Small & Mighty free and clear. I use only about 1/2 of the recommended amount and have had no problems. I have the Duet 9300 and matching dryer. Even with this detergent, I still use an extra rinse.

You are very right to assume food allergy, as I have many and they give me hives and make my eczema flare up. I cannot tell how many I have, only the ones that I'm positive through testing. But what I do know what aggravates so I simply avoid. I can tell you it can be extremely painful, almost like the feeling of having chapped lips, but all over. So even the slightest bit of irritation on top of that feeling can make one miserable.

My best suggestion to you would be to only use natural fibers, cotton preferrably. Fleece is good too, but that promotes static electricity which can be uncomfortable. No wool especially.

Good luck!

• justjustin
    17 years ago

I tell my patients to skip Dreft and go for either Tide (HE) Free, All (HE) Free, Purex Free or Method (HE) Free.

-JJ

• jenathegreat
    17 years ago

If DW really wants to stick with it, perhaps try reducing the amount of Dreft used? Or if other "baby detergents" would be acceptable, there are some made by Method, 7th Generation and others that might agree more with your baby.

We're trying out different "free and clear" products before our baby arrives to see what we like best. I have not read anything good about Dreft and am not willing to use it on my baby's clothes. I do not know anyone with kids who uses it (either because they don't want any fragrance or because they think it's an overpriced ripoff).

• cindicrafter
    17 years ago

I'd suggest you try Tide Free HE I have horrible allergies and break out using most laundry soap, but have found Tide Free to be the best on the market. You may need to check a few stores to find the HE, but I know Alberstons here carries it about the only place I've found. Walmart did carry it, but I haven't seen any in awhile.

t's been 29yrs since my son was a baby there wasn't much on the market I had to use Dreft.

• ebear1271
    17 years ago

First baby? The first is always by-the-book but after that the word "whatever" seems to come into play a lot more! I use white distilled vinegar in the rinse. Just put it in the softener compartment. Vinegar cuts soap and so it will help reduce the amount of soap left in the clothes. The odor will dissipate upon drying so don't worry about the clothes smelling.

• iinsic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the advice. As I noted above, we use Tide HE for our other laundry. I know we've bought the Tide Free HE when it's been on sale. I'll lobby for a complete switch over to that and see how that goes for the baby. You've all been a great help.

• barbjw
    17 years ago

My 21 year old still has the skin problem if she uses dryer sheets or if someone else before her at college uses alot of softener in the washer or extra sheets in the dryers. I used dreft for her when she was a baby but changed over to I think Tide free. She always had a problem with her face when my Mom took care of her and we figured out that it was the bounce dryer sheets she used on the crib sheets and her clothing. I did use vinegar also in fabric softener dispenser.

• babysmaid
    17 years ago

I use Dreft liquid for my kids, and have since they were born (they are 4, and 6). I use it in a front loader, use much less than called for, and always do a second rinse. Your problem may be the soap, so it's best to experiment. I also don't use fabric softener on whites and only a tiny square of a Bounce sheet for our regular clothes. Softener coats fabric, and a small 1" x 1" square will do the trick. I have had eczema, so I tend to be cautious with the kids.
    Do you have a plastic mattress protector on the baby's bed?
    What about lotions, shampoo, and body soaps? I have to be careful with those. Good Luck!

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago

I never understood the need for Dreft detergent. My pediatrician said it wasn't necessary. I just needed clean clothes. I washed my babies' clothes in whatever I washed the rest of the family's clothes in. They never had one moment's trouble with their skin as babies. Now that my oldest son has developed eczema at age 9, I use All Small and Mighty Free and Clear He, extra rinse and then just a small bit of Downy Free and Clear fabric softener. His skin seems to be getting better.

He uses unscented Aveeno body wash at bath time too.

• bmorepanic
    17 years ago

This is a nice list of which detergent has what in it, perhaps another choice would be "freer" for the kiddo.
    Bon chance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diaper Jungle

• hokie98
    17 years ago

I have a 16 month old that also has eczema. When she was younger, I used Dreft, but I found that it just didn't clean well for me, and plus I had read where it wasn't so gentle. I switched to free & clear detergents (All Free & Clear, and Kirkland from CostCo). I still generally use the free & clear on her clothes, but occasionally some of her clothes get thrown into a load with Tide with no issue. But back to the eczema...I tried to narrow it down to something in her diet, as well as the laundry products, etc., but never could pinpoint a specific thing causing the flare-ups. For us, I found that being proactive was the best solution. She gets coated with Eucerin cream (the heavy-duty stuff) every morning when she gets dressed, and at night if she does NOT get a bath. She gets bathed every other night and on the nights she does get a bath, I apply Aquaphor to her. As for bathing, I wash her in pure soap (a goat's milk honey & oat bar soap I found made by some local folks). I ran out several weeks ago, and I could tell the difference when I went back to using conventional baby wash, and quickly bought more soap. My pediatrician wrote up a 'prescription' for a blend of Aquaphor & cortizone for when use when necessary, but rarely do I use it, and I haven't had to put any steriod cream on her in close to a year now for flare-ups. I found it to be trial & error - some creams/lotions I tried that others swore worked for them, didn't work for us. However, if you're proactive and keep the baby's skin well moisterized, then I think you will likely find the skin will be in better shape. Good luck!

• iinsic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have done our best to keep the little dude lubed up with Aquaphor and several Aveeno cream/lotion products. And yes, they do help quite a bit. We have a new prescription lotion, but haven't tried it yet (just got it this week). We'll continue to look at detergent options for all the clothes in the house, and are also looking at replacing the Calypso with something that will rinse better...but that's still down the road.

Thanks again for all the responses.

• kateskouros
    17 years ago

i never used dreft as it seemed to be the most highly perfumed detergent on the market. i'm unfamiliar with the cause of exema, so i can't say the detergent itself is a factor but i would switch immediately. so what if your spouse likes it?! what's more important? try a more "green" formula available at whole foods markets or health food stores.
    second, i would seek advice from your pediatrician. they deal with much more than stuffy noses! good luck and i hope the baby's skin clears. my neice gets this occasionally i know it's terribly itchy!

• xamsx
    17 years ago

I have dry-skin eczema. When I was diagnosed my dermatologist recommended dreft and ivory snow, as well as quick, not-so-hot showers, skip the fabric softener blah, blah, blah (this was 18 years ago). After a lot of trial and error, the topical steroid and arm & hammer free were what helped me. I still use fabric softener ('cause I love the smell!). I was very afraid when we switched to the miele last year that I would have skin-issues, but the persil has been great.

Definitely give a free and clear a try. They are not all alike. If one does not work, try another (cheer free & clear gave me hives!)

• dross
    17 years ago

Dreft was the first completely synthetic laundry detergent on the market. When it turned out it didn't clean as well as other detergents, P&G tried to reposition it, and based the new campaign on the idea that traditional 'real' soaps and detergents were nasty and irritating, and only the products of our modern chemical industry could produce a gentle detergent. Of course, nowadays everyone believes the exact opposite, that the chemical industry is evil and that natural soaps are the best/gentlest.

For everyone's amusement, I am linking below to an early Dreft commercial. If you wonder at the fact that it is about washing dishes, not clothing, the following website has more information: http://www.old-time.com/commercials/1940's/Dreft.html - DR

Here is a link that might be useful: 1927 Dreft commercial

• dianne47
    17 years ago

The first thing I would do is make sure my water is "soft" enough. If you have hard water, detergents and soaps won't rinse out of your clothing.

My husband has very sensitive skin. I've used either Melalauea Mela Power unscented or All Free & Clear for years, with no skin flare-ups. Of course, we have soft water.

I don't understand why people want a scent in their clothing, especially baby clothing. Too much chance of scent being a lung irritant.

• rolls_rapide
    17 years ago

It's funny the way detergent manufacturers position products in different markets.

Here in the UK, "Dreft" is marketed as a 'delicates' detergent - a light-duty detergent for woollens and silks.

For child-friendly laundry, P&G's "Fairy" is pushed (no enzymes).

Procter & Gamble's premium detergent is "Ariel". "Daz" is a budget detergent,"Bold" is somewhere between them.

You used to be able to tell several years ago, as "Ariel" had 4 separate enzymes (amylase, protease, cellulase and lipase); "Bold" had 3 (amylase, protease and cellulase) plus softener added; and "Daz" had 2 enzymes (amylase and protease).

As far as I know, the current formulations are based protease and glycosidase.

As for Unilever detergents, Non-biological "Persil" is the usual one recommended for skin allergies, in the UK. I know of someone who can only use this detergent; anything else causes eczema.

• sue36
    17 years ago

I get eczema and have always had issues with detergents. I found the All Free and Clear didn't cause irritation. I have a front loader now and use Persil and have had no issues with it.

I really don't like smelly detergents and I NEVER use bleach. No matter how much I rinse I can smell it coming off the clothes, sheets, etc., when they heat up from body heat.

• sshrivastava
    17 years ago

dianne47, hard water is actually *better* at rinsing than soft water. Remaining detergent is looking for something to bind to -- dirt or calcium ions. When you rinse with soft water, you are providing no additional calcium ions (or very few) and the detergent is more difficult to rinse out. In a reverse process, soft water is better at cleaning than hard water. So in an ideal world, we would wash with soft water and rinse with hard water.

In terms of the topic of this thread, is it a hard and fast rule that baby detergents shouldn't contain enzymes? The reason I ask is because I use Bi-O-Kleen Premium, which cleans and rinses great, but contains enzymes as the #1 ingredient. If it rinses well, would that still be an issue? It's a great product that cleans wonderfully and has no added scents or dyes, but I don't know if the enzymes will cause problems.

My best friend uses Trader Joe's brand for her baby clothes, and I sent her a box of Bi-O-Kleen and so far no complaints.

• becca1212
    17 years ago

I use a new product called the Laundry Pure. One of my neighbors told me about it and set me up with a risk-free trial. You hook your washer up to the unit and it eliminates the need to use laundry detergent all together. plus it kills 99% of bacteria and germs. It pretty amazing. Its definitely worth checking out. You can go to the website to get more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.laundrydetergentfree.com

• dross
    17 years ago

Of all the snake-oil products that are routinely spammed in this forum, the laundry pu is the only one I can think of made by a company that has actually been cited by the FTC, the Justice Department, and at least one federal judge. - DR

• arleneb
    16 years ago

Have you tried Charlie's Soap? On another forum I read several posts by people who said that their psoriasis or eczema cleared up with CS. Might be worth a try. Or email Charlies to see what they say.

• stbonner
    16 years ago

I agree with hostagrams, I've seen several people post on this forum that their eczema improved with use of Charlie's Soap.

My family has allergies, and my grown daughter has always had really sensitive skin. We switched to Charlie's Soap almost a year ago and recently noticed that the "allergy bumps" on the backs of our upper arms were gone. Our allergist had told us years ago that lots of people with allergies have these bumps, which are not really noticeable unless you run your hand over them. My husband had them, I had them, and my daughter had them. None of us have them now.

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

Another one for Charlie's Soap for baby laundry - and everyone's laundry. Stop using any kind of softener (sheets or liquid). Softeners are full of toxic chemicals and fats/oils (even so called safe soy-based) that build-up on clothing. Using softeners on childrens clothing can also cause them to become more flamable because of the "fats" used in them when you get a build-up. When using Charlie's Soap, softeners are no longer necessary. I even quit using white vinegar in the rinse...

-Grainlady

• plumbly22
    16 years ago

I use to be an All Free & Clear user... 100% of the time... Switched about 4 months ago to Charlie's soap powder, occassionally I will use white vingear in the rinse, and ALWAYS use a 'extra' rinse option.... noticable chances in skin problems, all for the better in my family...

Oh yes, the other noticable difference is in my kitchen towel drawer... my towels no longer fit in the drawer... seems they must have 'fluffed' up some since the soap change. I guess the same must be true for our bath towels, but since it's rare that all the towels are in that cupboard the same time!

• blondiegreen
    16 years ago

You should really check out SOAP NUTS! You don't even need to rinse them out, so that would save you there.
    http://stores.HotterThanHealth.com
    They are a shell from a fruit grown in Nepal that contains a natural soap - no chemicals, fragrances, dyes etc. They are low sudsing too. They are perfect for those with skin sensitivities (like ezcema), and better yet, they are the only thing that really takes out the stink in my DD's cloth diapers!!! My DH's ezcema once covered his belly, but now it is gone. We do all our laundry with Soap Nuts. Also, they are way cheaper than regular detergent!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soap Nuts