SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nehome

Island for Narrow Kitchen

nehome
11 years ago

Posted previously asking about new layout and thoughts were that kitchen may be too narrow for an island with cabs on both sides. So I'm posting current layout and a proposed island layout which involves moving the entry to the kitchen from the hall and replaces cabs on opp side of island with a 12" deep built in pantry (assuming a 12" built in would project 7" or so). Clearance on sink side of island would be 36" counter to counter (39" floor space from DW to island with a 1 1/2" counter overhang) Clearance on walkway side of a 28" island is 45" to wall. I would propose a "light" island that has some storage on the ends with maybe only undercounter drawers along the length so stools can be pushed in completely. If not completely open along the length, maybe only 12" deep storage. I was also considering a movable island so I can easily push it closer toward the sink when having company and push it the other direction for everyday use which gives more clearance around the DW. The major drawback for me is the range location - 1.) prep space is to left of the range and in front of the DW. The DW could not be run or be emptied while I am prepping/cooking. 2.) I have a natural tendency to prepare on the right side (whether cooking,sewing or working on any project) 3.) range is in view of front entry. If I swap the range and fridge locations it chops up the counter space. Another option is to keep hall entry and range and fridge where they are with a narrower island but that doesn't really make efficient use of the island as a prep space. Any thoughts? (Will post layout proposals in following posts)

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions