SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Today's Google doodle -- Jonas Salk

violetwest
9 years ago

today is Jona's Salk's 100th birthday. I have a vivid memory of going to a school cafeteria with my parents one day, and getting my polio vaccine on a sugar cube. Must have been around . . . 1960? I'm sure there are others here that might remember that.

Comments (4)

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

Salk was responsible for the original, injected vaccine. The oral vaccine we currently use was developed by Albert Sabin. I'm reasonably sure that I got both, the Salk vaccine as an infant (which was before the oral vaccine was available), and then the Sabin as the booster around 5-6 years old.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I remember getting a polio shot when I was little. My dad was a doctor and gave them to us at home. Later we went to the school cafeteria and got the sugar cubes.

A few years ago I went to a museum to see a display on the 1950's. There was an iron lung there. What a horror.

Not to start a debate here, but I simply do not understand why anyone would choose not to vaccinate their child against diseases. Thank you, Jonas Salk.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Another thank you to Dr. Salk. I remember hearing about a little girl in our neighborhood who had polio when I was young. Didn't understand what it meant then, but I can imagine how scary it was for all the parents. I also had the shot. Then, we went to the new junior high across the street from us when I was in elementary school to get the sugar cubes. Everyone was there in the gym-parents and kids-all got the Sabin sugar cubes.

I agree with Ded about getting the vaccines.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Yes! I remember that too.

Ded, parents of children with disabilities often want to find answers. Some blame vaccines.
    I have a neighbor who thinks her daughters developed issues after taking the HPV.