SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisycat3

Question re replacing condenser

daisycat3
16 years ago

I've searched for some time for this so if it's been posted, I apologize. I also apologize if I don't know the correct terms - I'm a single homeowner who bought late in life and is learning her way through all this stuff!

I live a in 925 sf condo. When I bought it three years ago, the original furnace and central AC system were still working (from 1974!) but hugely inefficient. The seller agreed to replace the furnace as part of deal (it's an American Standard furnace) but I still have not replaced the central air. As a result, my electric bill in summer is HUGE. The thing cools like nothing else I've ever encountered, but I can't take the bills anymore. MY QUESTION: Is the thing sitting outside behind my condo the condensor unit? Has a fan in it. very noisy. Is that the part that is causing my huge electric bills in summer because it's so old? Or is there something in the attic (where the furnace is) that I need to replace?

Also, how much does a condensor replacement run? $1200? $4000? Just an idea so I don't get ripped off. I live in CT if that helps answer any questions. (The furnace is a gas furnace if that makes a difference.)

Thanks!!

Comments (13)