SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flynnnj

My appliance decisions are paralyzing my cabinet decisions!

flynnnj
12 years ago

I posted this under Appliances but realize that it's also a kitchen decision - type of cabinet, OTR micro or hood, etc. It's a new year - I can't analyze anymore - I need to make some decisions but really need your input and encouragement. As soon as I borrow a digital camera I will post some photos. Here goes...

I am replacing the 1989 dishwasher, gas stove, and microwave in my townhouse kitchen. It's where I'll live the next 5 years, 15 years, forever or maybe just a little while. Time will tell. I've already been here 3 years, dreamed about the kitchen for the last 2 but still cooking in the old one!

I am leaning to the OTR microwave for space reasons in a condo size kitchen but have concerns since I'm only 5'2". Plus, one of my favorite things to cook is a big pot of soup and wonder if there will be enough space. I can't give away cabinet space for a drawer micro but could put it on a counter behind doors.

My microwave choice has been a real stumbling block to finalizing my kitchen cabinet decisions. Then I think "KISS" - just do the obvious and put it over the range and move on- HELP!

I need to be budget conscious but want to enjoy my choices for looks, reliability, and function. I liked the GE cafe range for looks (and the bottom drawer for small pots, etc. I have a friend who is happy with her Cafe range and OTR micro but I've read many complaints and horrendous reviews.

My mind is swimming - NCR, Bertazzoni, Electrolux, GE - at least I know I want stainless - but oh, those red ranges - OK, time to snap out of it! Stay focused.

Like the rest of the nation, the resale has dropped about $40-50,000 but it's where I live. Our homes are not just about resale. I'm walking that fine line between what I want and what makes sense, economically and for the space.

PS - I cook in spurts, am not much of a baker but love to be in my kitchen, do family holidays, and have friends over for impromptu meals. Plus you see the kitchen as soon as come in the front door. Even without being a professional cook it's a room that I use in some way every day.

I marvel at the wisdom, insights, and humor that I read on this site every day - sometimes a few times a day. I really need Garden Web to help me clear the clutter of my mind and get on track so I can finally DO THIS!

Comments (10)