SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Absolute No-Nothing; Please Be Gentle (Air Conditioning)

suzieque
10 years ago

Hi -

I'm simply a home-owner and have zero knowledge about air conditioning units. But I cannot stand this heat; I've had it and am at the breaking point. Here's my situation:

I have a tiny (1,000 sq. foot), 2 story home. It is completely open concept (no doors between rooms.....actually, not even rooms, just semi-divided spaces. Even my bedroom has no door on it. There's no way I want to deal with multiple window air conditioners; the number of them, the difficulty in installing and uninstalling, the noise, the storage, etc. So I'm finally considering .... um, I don't even know what they're called .... but similar to what's in the link, below.

I'm thinking of the kind of unit that gets installed into a wall. Not a full air conditioning system in a house; my house is over a century old and doesn't have the proper setup. I'm going to do research (this is a start) and will definitely have a professional come, consult, bid, and install (and will probably not buy from a big-box store), but should know some basics before getting too involved.

Would you be willing to educate me, even a little, on these things? What should I look for, what should I watch out for, what type is best in your opinion, what to do, what not to do, etc.?

I'd be eternally grateful.

Suzieque

Edited to say: ACK!!! I wish I could edit the title. "No Nothing" should be "Know Nothing", of course. :-( I assure you that I'm not THAT stupid! Haha.

Here is a link that might be useful: HD Unit as an example

This post was edited by suzieque on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 20:13

Comments (12)