SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasdaddy

3rd compressor in 2.5 years in DFW?

texasdaddy
13 years ago

I purchased a new home in Jan 08. Last July, the upstairs unit had a compressor failure, and it was replaced under the 2 year builders warranty. Last Thursday, the same unit went out. The company, Frymier, told me it would take 8 days for them to come out since I still have downstairs AC (even though bedrooms, and media room are upstairs). I called the home builder to complain, and they suggested I try another company.

Well the other company came out the next day for a regular fee (Houck). That technician told me the compressor was indeed out again. He suggested going back to Frymier with this since it had been less than a year. I called them, and they said I would have to pay a $129 "emergency" diagnostic any sooner than Thursday, and I would have to pay labor on the install since my builder's 2 year warranty was just over - even though they had done the replacement just 11 months ago with a part that has a 5 year manufacturers warranty.

I change my filters at least bimonthly (which are usually clean), and I spray the coils every few months during the cooling season. I also keep the upstairs 2 degrees warmer to not overwork the upper unit. I can't help but feel the installer must be to blame for this POS unit. Is it normal for compressors to fail every 11 months? It is a copeland scroll on a 14 seer Amana Distinctions. I'm not paying these jokers if they won't stand by their install or repairs, so can I get another installer to replace the unit under man. warranty?

Comments (6)