SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

Question about the education system?

susan_on
15 years ago

Azzalea's post keeps reminding me of something that is a sore point with me. Today's graduates have very poor spelling and grammar. Not all of them, but many of them do. I deal with many clients, with varying degrees of education, and administer literacy tests. Young people with grade 10, 11 and even high school graduates too often have very poor spelling and grammar. I find this to be very annoying, and would like to know why that is.

Recently I was out at a function and sat beside a school board trustee. I wasn't going to bother him, but he kept telling me about his job. Eventually, I asked him outright, what the reasons are for the poor literacy we see in young people leaving their system. He just said that the answer is very complicated (I guess he thought I wouldn't understand it?) and that is disturbs him too. He said that the Director of Education is not aware of how serious the situation is. I found that to be very troubling.

Anyway, I know there are people on this forum who have familiarity and experience with their local school systems. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Why are the schools pushing students through their system when they don't even have basic literacy skills?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths