SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryberry_gw

Wood trim - perplexing problem with current color and remodel

berryberry
16 years ago

Hi - looking for some advice (also posted something similiar on the paint forum to see if any of the pro's there have any advice).

All of the woodowrk in our home (baseboards, window trim, doors, etc) is stained a very light color (similiar to a pickled oak). Our current kitchen cabinets are this shade as well. We are going to be remodeling the kitchen and the majority of the cabinets will be a natural or medium cherry (with a few painted antique white glazed and distressed cabinets).

We have a 36" pantry door (its a bi-fold door covering a large pantry closet -= not walk in but large enough for our needs) that is the pickled oak as well. I am wondering what to do with the pantry door and perhaps the other woodwork in terms of color. I am not adverse to also replacing the door if need be with a slightly different style (I looked for a door with windows but no bifold's come this way that I could find). In any case, even with a door style change the built in pantry is staying there (as well as the other wood trim in the kitchen) so the problem will still exist.

I have thought of painting the pantry doort a shade similiar to the couple antique white cabinets we will be putting in - but if I just do the door, will that look strange with the pickled oak trim around the pantry door and the pickled oak baseboards. I could also do the door trim - but won't that look strange since the windows and outside door trim are all pickled oak. If I do all the woodwork in there - I run into a problem where the baseboards continue into the adjacent dining room and hallway (ie - there is no way to make a clean transition with the baseboards)

What have you done in situations such as this or what would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company