SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithnights

Spray foam worth it in my situation?

lithnights
10 years ago

I'd like to do spray foam on my 3250 sq ft new construction. I had assumed around $6K based on what the builder had guessed a couple times. We're almost ready to insulate, and he just now got me an official quote for $8500. I have 2 days to decide.

This would be closed cell for 2", just for exterior walls. The quote says it would give it an R value of 14. With unfaced R11 over it, I would have R25. Without the upgrade, I'd have R19, so we're looking at about 33% increase in R value.

I added up the walls and it comes to about 2900 sq ft of wall (based on 9 ft ceilings).

I know spray foam isn't cheap but isn't this a bit pricey?

Also a concern is that I don't even know who the sub is that is doing it, nor references etc. I've been asking for this info for months from the builder. I could be his first job for all I know.

I'm in SE PA, and I plan to use a high output fireplace to heat most of my house, with a heat pump (propane backup) as needed. Heat pump for A/C. Electric around $.16 khw. 2x6 framing, upgraded to Andersen 200 windows. R50 blown in attic.

If I knew how much I'd save in utility bills, I could do a breakeven/ROI analysis, but I have no idea if my energy savings would be 10%, 20%, 50% etc.

Is there anything else I need to think of before making this decision?

Thanks!

Comments (12)