SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Humidity Question w/Central Air

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

I have posted about my 20 year Trane system in our 20 year old Colonial home that we moved into recently. I have a common problem where the second floor gets too warm at times (generally spring, evenings or any time the unit does not run regularly). At that point the only way to get have the second floor cool is to have the first cold.

I received much advice and have cut the dampers back on the first floorÂthis helped a bit; I now have less of a temp swing. I was planning on getting a new heat pump unit but want to be sure I eliminate any cooling issues before I shell out big bucks only to still have a hot second floor. I am considering having them install a thermostat upstairs, which may benefit us in winter too since we are considering a propane insert in the fireplace which I am told could heat the whole first floor. Celing fans are a possibility but I put a room fan in my bedroom and it just felt like it was blowing the warm air around. AnyhooÂ

HereÂs the crazy question. The house is/ can be cool temperature wise. I bought a thermometer and on the first floor, every room is just about exactly what the thermostat is set at. Say 68 degrees. The upstairs rooms, during the heat of the day vary between 71 and 73. Again, as the evening comes the variance starts to get to 74 Â 75---thatÂs when I need to knock the thermostat down to 65 and the first floor gets too cold.

To me the house feels clammy or humid all the time though. Sometimes my wife agrees, other times she thinks I am nuts. I know if I leave the Trane fan on all the time, that works great during the day but tends to make the house feel stale at night. Is there anything the Trane unit is doing or not doing that could be causing the humid feeling? Could my cutting the 1st floor dampers back have caused this? FYI, the humidly reading on the thermometer combo reads 47 Â 48 percentÂis that high? Am I nuts? Our old home was 1200 sq feet and was always super doper cool and I never had this clammy feeling in that old split levelÂmaybe it was very dry and I have not adjustedÂ?

Comments (3)