SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

I'm just following directions....

lindac
15 years ago

Our church has a find raiser coming up. It's an ice cream social, featuring homemade ice cream, sloppy joe sandwich and turkey, sliced and mixed with "gravy" (don't ask!!) heated and also served on a bun potato salad, baked beans, home made ice cream and cakes and pies.

The woman who did the turkey for 6 years has retired to Florida, so I volunteered to do the turkey.

Last year they served 365 people and ran out of turkey. I called her and she said she cooked 2 25 pound birds and 4 12 pounders. I hear 96 pounds of turkeys, which should equal 57 pounds of meat.....figuring 60% yield from the turkeys.

So I bought 6 15 pound turkeys and 2 8 pound bone in breasts....figures out to b 106 pounds....times 60% is about 63 pounds of cooked turkey meat. That seems that when mixed with "gravy" (I'll be working on that!) that ought to make about 250 sandwiches......which considering there is someone standing therre asking "do you want turkey or beef sandwich" ought to be loads and loads.

Is my math OK? Shouldn't an equal number of people want beef.

I sure don't mind having some leftover turkey in the freezer.....but...that seems like a LOT of meat!

What do you think?

Linda C

Comments (12)