SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elle3_gw

high electric bills due to hw heater

elle3
13 years ago

We live in New York with very high electric rates. We have oil heat (natural gas not available) and the cost of propane varies considerably. We only use it for stovetop cooking, but have looked into a demand propane tankless. Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of the propane supplier as far as prices go as they will only fill their own tanks. Some friends in our area got rid of propane for hot water for this reason.

Our oil burner is an 18 year old Weil McLain and we spend approx 200 a month for about 2600 sq feet. The oil company that comes to tune it up every year says it is about 85% efficient. We have baseboard heating.

We are looking into an indirect tank for our current oil burner, but my husband has been told by someone that the new oil burners are way more efficient now and we should upgrade to a whole new heating and hot water system to save money on both hot water and oil.

Do you agree with this opinion?

We still have 2 in college and would like not to spend 7-10K on a new system. But....our electric bills are 500/month due to 5 adults and a huge demand for hot water. This is just for electric--oil bill is 200/month.

We just installed all cfls,timers,a low flow showerhead (Omni), and have started washing clothes with cold water in order to reduce our electric consumption, but we'll have to wait a month to see if the changes make a difference. We also suspect our hot water heater temp is set too high, and that has to be fixed also.

We also looked into the ge geosprings hybrid, but I can't find a lot of actual customer reviews--the few I've found have been negative. Our basement is finished and heated and we're not sure it's a viable option. We don't need all the heat to get sucked out of the air raising our oil bill. Am I correct in that thinking? They seem to have a high efficiency rating, though. I'm the researcher in the family and it's wearing me out!

And lastly, I went to a website that listed the tax credits for heating and was shocked to see that almost no oil burners qualify. So if you are in the northeast and don't have access to nat gas, you are at a huge disadvantage. And solar is out--even with the tax credits we can't finance the upfront costs.

I would be grateful for any comments you may have before we start calling contractors and getting confused! It seems hard to get unbiased opinions:) We are not adverse to spending big bucks for a top of the line system, but we must be sure it is the right move financially....

Comments (14)