SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauriec_gw

Fireclay vs castiron - which is stronger?

lauriec
14 years ago

Aarrgh. Was close to deciding on rohl allia sink cause of off set drain when I saw this posting;

RE: show me your soapstone counter with undermount cast iron

Posted by riverspots (My Page) on Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 18:54

I was all set to order the Rohl Allia. Went to the store and, while I was there, looked around at all the bath and kitchen displays. I got to the Kohler section and saw an interesting display. There was a large divided sink with a heavy SS frying pan in it. The frying pan had a sign challenging people to try to damage the sink with the pan. Not to miss such an opportunity, I picked up the pan and dropped it from a height of 6 inches into the sink. Nothing happened. So I then picked up the frying pan and tapped the edge of the sink. Again, no damage. Then I whacked the sink a half dozen times harder than I thought any accident could cause. No damage-not even a scratch. The pan just bounced off. I was amazed. So I asked the salesperson, who had just told me that fireclay was pretty durable, if it could take that sort of abuse. She just shook her head. So I ordered the Kohler Bakersfield sink instead.

So is fireclay less strong? What is the collective wisdom?

Comments (24)