SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
e171fish

Proper Trane ERV installation in new construction

e171fish
14 years ago

Hello,

I posted in this forum several months ago and received some great advice that was followed on new equipment choices for my new home.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg0122561917217.html

My latest dilemma... the Trane ERV 300 was installed yesterday. I have a few questions regarding the installation. This is the first ERV the HVAC crew had installed and I want to make sure it was set up properly.

The home is 1 1/2 story with a full finished basement. 2300 sq ft main, 1200 sq ft 2nd floor, and 1200 sq ft basement. Open cell foam insulation throughout. There are three Trane HVAC systems, one for each floor. We purchased the ERV for the main floor system but the second floor will benefit because of the open design.

The installers connected the fresh air duct into the return air duct (before the furnace) for the main floor. That seems proper so the fresh air will be distributed throughout the main floor.

The "stale" air that is going to be exhausted to the outside is being pulled only from an 500 sq ft exercise room in the basement via one ceiling vent. The basement is a separate system. That doesn't seem quite right. Shouldn't the system pull the "stale" air from the main floor since that is where it is supplying "fresh air"? Could I leave the vent in the exercise room and then find another duct to pull from the main floor?

The drywall is up so adding ducts would be costly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Comment (1)