SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pawsitive_gw

I make 'THE best granola ever'...

pawsitive_gw
15 years ago

...according to the grandson. It varies with each batch I make. I forget some ingredients or add others. Mine comes from the "Feed Me! I'm Yours" cookbook. DH and DGS went to California last week and brought back oranges so I jested an orange and put it in the granola. Oh my, the aroma when I opened the jar this morning, heaven!!

Granola

4 cups uncooked regular oatmeal

1 1/2 cups wheat germ (I also add 1/2 cup bran)

1 cup grated coconut

1/4 cup powdered milk

1-2 T cinnamon (or to taste)

1/3 c vegetable oil (I use olive)

1/2 cup honey

1 T vanilla

Options:

1/2 c sesame seeds and/or sunflower seeds

1/2 c nuts, seeds, raisins, dried fruits of your choice, etc. (I add 1 c chopped pecans)

In a large bowl mix dry ingredients. In a microwave cup, combine oil, honey and vanilla and microwave just until warm. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix well. Spread out in a rimmed baking pan (I use a 9x13) and bake at either 250* for one hour or 300* for 30 minutes, depending on your time schedule. Stir about half way through. Add dried fruit, cool, store in airtight container.

I have tried many granola recipes and this is by far the best. Like I said, I added orange zest to this last batch. I eat mine with plain yogurt and fresh fruit in season and/or frozen blueberries. It's a basic recipe and I have fun finding things to add to it. This time I forgot to add the sesame seeds, oh well....it's still good.

Comments (9)