SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Gas- plus rant

14 years ago

In my general area, the predominate supplier of natural gas charges a flat $10.00 per month for gas service, plus a charge per therm for any gas actually used. A residence with gas furnace only might not use any gas for May through October- and very little during April and November. Disconnect will avoid the monthly charge, but reconnect is $85.00. About a wash. Is this the practice of most natural gas suppliers? Makes propane and oil look a bit better. A few propane suppliers in my area have no tank rental fees.

My rant is the crummy service of most of the HVAC people I call. One cancelled my appointment and never notified me. I called them a few hours later and they said they had too many calls and had to cancel some. Scratch their name of my list. Called another guy, came promptly. Low on refrigerant, said no leak found (how does refrigerant get gone with no leak?), recharged, using over 4# of R-22. I saw no scale for the tank and considered that a lot of refrigerant for a no-leak system. Now 10 months later the system does not cool at all, compressor and all fans run. Just as before. It must be that just 10% of HVAC folks are really good. That few are difficult to find.

Comments (2)