SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jemstones

dehumidifiers vs window a/c vs portable a/c

jemstones
16 years ago

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations/advice for air conditioners. I live in SE CT, not too far from the coast. So, we are very muggy in the summer. Our home does not have central air and we don't want to have it installed. As long as the windows are open we can stand the heat with regular fans. Well, there are about 1 to 2 weeks in the summer that are pretty ugly, but so far we have lived! Our problem is mainly the humidity. It gets very "wet" in the summer and I'm concerned about moisture damage to our furniture and home. I can see evidence of mildew on a few things like a pair of shoes, inside a picture frame, and on the under side of a table. It seems to me that plain dehumidifiers won't help because we need the windows open when it gets really hot.

DH & I have an ongoing debate. We both much prefer fresh air to a noisy a/c unit. However, I think we need to get 2 or 3 window air conditioners or portable a/c's to control the humidity and protect the house and he doesn't think it is necessary.

Does anyone have a recommendation for window or portable a/c's that aren't terribly noisey and can also be used as dehumidifiers when it isn't so hot? The portability isn't so much of an issue as the ease of installation and removal. We wouldn't want to keep the unit in the window year round. There are a lot of reviews and such on the web but I wondered if anyone could share their experience and or opinion with these units.

Thanks a bunch,

Jane

Addenum to orig post. WHAT IF.........we got 3 dehumidifiers (one for each floor) and during the day we run them, close up the house, and pull the shades? We would only open the windows in the evening when we are home. Do you think that would give us adequate control over the humidity and potential mold in the house, or am I just grasping at straws here?

Thanks again,

Jane

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert