SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidr_2002

Mini Split overcools

DavidR
10 years ago

Last fall I had a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim MSZGE09NA mini split heat pump installed in a bedroom. I'm still scrapping with the installer over major problems with the installation, including a piddle-poor job on the lineset cover. Among many other issues, I had to break out the drain because they had it pitched uphill and kinked, so condensate started dripping out of the indoor unit on the first humid day this spring.

It seemed to work OK heating over the winter, but now that it's hot, it overcools drastically during the day.

The indoor unit is on an East-facing, uninsulated exterior wall. The installers did not use a wall sleeve, they just stuffed Mortite into the exterior hole.

With the remote temp set at 78 degrees and the morning sun hitting the wall outside, the room temperature was 66 degrees! I bumped the remote to 86 and the temperature rose to 71 degrees. It hung around that range most of the day. By that night, though, with outdoor temperature around 72, indoor temperature was 80.

I thought these mini splits had temperature sensors in the incoming air stream, and all kinds of microprocessor logic to figure out the temperature. This one sure doesn't act like it. It seems to be getting confused by heat radiating from the wall behind the indoor unit.

Is there a way I can add a true room temperature sensor to this unit?

Anything else I can do?

I'd rather fix it myself if possible, I'm at the point where I have no trust left for the installers who created this mess.

Comments (15)