SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
declansmom_gw

Finding a Job

declansmom
12 years ago

Hi everyone....maybe someone here has an idea that I have not thought of. My DH and I moved from NY to MA about 9 months ago. I have spent 6 months fixing up our new home and taking care of some family problems. I started looking for a job about 2 months ago. I have looked online until my eyes are crossed, sent resumes to employment agencies and answered a few job postings but I feel like I am hitting a dead end.

Years ago, I used to go out with my resume to a job and ask them to keep it on file, but it seems like nowadays, they want you to do everything online.

I was wondering if any of you have any ideas on how to proceed from here. I am getting discouraged and when that happens, I lose my perspective!

TIA for any ideas!

Comments (21)

• Chi
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What's your background? What field are you looking to enter? Were you employed in NY or is this the first time you're looking for a job in a while?

Some fields are hurting more than others in this economy. If you've been unemployed or out of work for a while, that also hurts you as employers seem more likely to hire someone who already has a job for some reason.

I realize these are personal questions but if you could provide a little more detail, it might help us give you more relevant advice. :)

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Networking helps a lot. Tell all your friends and former colleagues that you are looking. Join Linked In. Are there special web sites listing jobs in your field? Definitely check those every day.

• Related Discussions

Almost year round gardening.

Q

Comments (6)
    I have lived in Alabama my whole life - but have also traveled to most states in the summer time(including NJ twice),and experienced their so called "hot weather".Been to pheonix when it was 105, oklahoma city when it was 109, los angeles when it was 100 for 3 days straight.There was very little sweating by me, under these conditions - and I was working outside all day.However,because of the high level of humidity in the deep south,90 to 95 degrees would probably be unbearable for you.Probably the most I have ever sweated in my life was while on the roof of a food plant in west point, mississippi - and the temperature was only 96.You might want to reconsider your options....just trying to help
    ...See More

Great find!! Big job.

Q

Comments (16)
    No, does not look like a conversation to me...we are discussion garden junk and circumstances surrounding it. A conversation is when I post something like, hey it is cold and rainy here in sunny CA, how is your weather. I have not mentioned any GJ made or found or how to question. So you are safe.
    ...See More

Any advice on finding a job in Horticulture

Q

Comments (1)
    Check with the city. They usually have something to start with. Good luck.PJ
    ...See More

advice on adjusting

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks to everyone and their advice. Mom of 4, I think your ideas and advice were really excellent. Well have to try to put it into practice. When I say temper tantrums I mean refusing to move, screaming (not crying) so loud I can hear it inside when all the windows are closed, and yelling at the top of their voice that Dads hurting them when he tries to get them to sit down or going inside to calm down. I know people always say, "Youll never know until you have kids" but sometimes you just know when behavior is not normal or unacceptable. Plasticgarden, I think youre absolutely right about the "Disneyland Dad" thing. Weve talked about this before and he does acknowledge the he does overcompensate when he does see them. Hes said that he doesnt want to "neglect" them. I tried explaining that theres a long ways between neglect and instilling independence. I think weve figured out whats going on, now we just have to try to figure out how to correct it. But, Im feeling much less crazy than I did a day or so ago. I really want to stress Im not expecting them to act perfect all the time, but I think theres a threshold of acceptable behavior that they havent quite reached (through no fault of the kids). As for the French (which seems to be a main issue now): I can have conversations in French. I can buy bread, and go to the store and the doctorss and have lunch alone with his parents. I just dont feel confident in sitting down with two young boys and having such a delicate discussion. But, maybe Dad can be used for his commendable translation skills here. : ) Anyway. Thanks for all the advice, the confirmation that Im not completely crazy, and the honest opinions that I might have to be a bit more accepting sometimes.
    ...See More
  • socks
    12 years ago

Yes, networking. When you network, you are not asking for a job, you are telling people you are looking for work. Looking online and emailing resumes won't help.

Pinpoint a couple local companies you would like to work for. Find out something about them so you are well informed. Ask to meet with a human resources representative of the company and tell him/her you would like to work for them, share your resume and ask what additional experience or training they like to have in an employee. Then they will remember you and have your resume on hand and hopefully when they need someone, you can get an interview and a job.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Declansmom, what field or work? Another vote for networking here, I would much rather hire someone via a referral than a resume. Can you put the word out thru friends at church or can your husband help spread the word with business associates?

Depending on the job you might try checking local Craig's lists, Monster.com, Chamber of Commerce or bulletin boards at coffee shops or college bookstores. Sometimes even volunteering opens doors.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Linked In is a great idea, there are often groups formed within Linked In, so you might try searching for your profession. I have gotten several job offers thru them even tho I am not looking.

• declansmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone!
    Chi....my background for the last 15 years has been as an Office Manager.
    I am looking to work for a small company as close to home as possible. We moved to Falmouth, MA.
    dedtired....all my friends are in NY as are my old colleagues, so that won't help me here in MA.
    socks.....I have sent my resume to a few local places and asked them to keep it on file.
    Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• janie_ga
    12 years ago

You may have to dig very deep into some of the agency websites. WVU has multiple job search section... one for the university, one for the non-profit research arm of the university, and anyone interested in teaching has to dig around on individual department webpages to see what they want (some of these pages also have staff openings).

I am sure other universities, non profits, and state agencies have similar mazes.

If you have a healthcare background or are interested in that field, try these links. Despite their names/look, they also include staff (aka non teaching and non medical positions):
    http://www.apha.org/about/careers/
    http://cfusion.sph.emory.edu/PHEC/phec.cfm
    http://chronicle.com/section/Jobs/61/

They may be temporary data collection positions but they would at least pay the bills for a few months to a few years.

I spent the better part of 2011 looking for a faculty researcher position. I have COUNTLESS phone/Skype interviews. Ended up getting hired for a position that one of my dissertation committee members heard about- best part is boss is AWESOME and we did not have to move :-)

I would recommend practicing your phone and Skype skills, even local positions are using these options now- in some cases they HAVE to bin order to keep the process consistent with applicants near and far.

Keep us posted and feel free to email me if you want help with your resume or cover letter (email is through my GW page)

• Tally
    12 years ago

My current job opportunity came from an on-line application. Many companies now use software to cull for specific words in on-line applications, and it cuts out the recruitment fees. Make sure your application picks up words and phrases used in the job posting. It's internet technology and you will be surprised at how many companies prefer direct applications instead of going through agencies.

It's going to take time and committment. Jobs in this market don't happen along in a couple of months. A job search these days is a job in and of itself.

Linked In is a good place for networking, but I didn't find their job postings to be too helpful. They are also geared towards very specific backgrounds.

The best place I found for job hunting is indeed.com. This is an on-line aggregator of all jobs on-line from any company. You can put in search words and a zip code and search locally. If you save the search criteria, you can have the site e-mail you every day with new listings that fit your requirements.

One other thought is to contact temp agencies. Many companies are now hiring temps to fill their permanent positions. It gives them a chance to evaluate their performance before offering them the position full time. It also gives you a foot in the door to look for other opportunities within the company. Many temp agencies also offer benefits that are pretty good.

Don't get discouraged. It's a numbers game. Just keep searching and applying and sooner or later something will turn up for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indeed.com

• Tally
    12 years ago

You should also set up a separate e-mail account for on-line applications and any networking sites. You may get a lot of spam.

I particularily get a lot from LinkedIn and The Ladders about "job opptunities" which turn out to be spam collecting e-mail addys. Do NOT use your personal e-mail account for any internet job hunting. And pick an account name that is professional, using your name and initials if available so that the HR person reading your resume will be able to connect you with your e-mail address.

• User
    12 years ago

I'm having the same trouble. I've heard you need to call them after you apply, then keep bugging them so they know your interested. I hate this new way of getting a job!

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

I agree with Tally on setting up a new e-mail account, check the spam filter several times a day and definitely do NOT stop posting online applications - that IS how it is done for many companies today.
    Check the aggregate sites, but also look at the websites for any company you think you would like to work for and follow their posting instructions. Your local paper likely has online classifieds that never hit the printed paper.
    Best of luck!

• Chi
    12 years ago

Also, I would recommend posting your resume. That's how my current job was found - a recruiter searched on the terms he was looking for in the position, contacted me for an interview and a week later I had the offer! As someone said, make sure your resume has all the keywords so when they search, it'll come up.

You can remove identifying information before you post. I always took out my name and address and just left an email address, and then when I was contacted I'd send the full version.

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

This is alo very important: Key words.
    Make sure your resume includes the words that the job postings are using and in the same format. The automated search engines won't hit on your resume unless it contains the correct words.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Declansmom, don't discount your associates and former coworkers, they may know of folks in other cities or regions who are seeking employees. And you might check to see if Linked In has a group for your particular industry, meaning if you were an office manager for an advertising agency look for an advertising group, etc. Some folks may not be offered jobs geared for them and may be spammed but others, if they are in a profession or well known in that profession, could be. The offers I have received have not been spam, they were sent from an individual, I've not ever received spam as a result of Linked In. There are also often postings by folks looking for employees. But do get a separate email, you want one that is professional (as opposed to something like wildone@hotmail.com! LOL!)

Good Luck, I hope the perfect offer comes quickly!

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Besides all the good advice offered, check schools, libraries, medical centers, and don't forget dentists, and eye doctors. Is there a college you can go to--if nothing else to update (if needed) your records? How are you on computers? Telephones/ and other electronics? People skills? Even though I have been out of the work field for years, I have talked to people doing interviewing--and yes what others have mentioned they too have told me. Keep is short, tell them what you can do for them, what you are willing to learn, etc. Are their temporary agencies available? Did you check with state or county offices? Do you have a strong hobby that could turn into a job? Like crafting--related to Joann's or Hobby Lobby?
    Hope this helps
    Marie

• golfergrrl
    12 years ago

You're way out in a small town on the Cape.
    I'd use the small town approach to finding a job.
    I'd apply in person at local companies.
    You'll be able to find a job of some sort when the
    tourist seaon starts. Be flexible.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

You're on the Cape? That is hard. I wonder if you could find work where you telecommute? Still, depending where you are on the Cape, the Boston suburbs aren't too, too far. I'd focus on companies there. Try real estate companies, too. They are busy all year and may need an officer manager.

• sooey
    12 years ago

Hi Declansmom,

You have been given some really good ideas here. I know Falmouth is isolated but it is large enough that you should be able to find something in the area. Even if you need to include Hyannis in your search. I just talked with a friend who lives and works in Falmouth. Her advice was to keep looking in the paper. She also said that WHOI is the best place to work but not easy to get into. I've always thought that the Steamship Authority would be a fun place to work, at least during the summer & fall. Have you looked into any info you could get through CapeCodComminityCollege? Could you include Wareham & Plymouth?

Keep looking, Kid-O. You'll find something!

• redcurls
    12 years ago

Just one word of caution. If prompted to fill out a job application online, DO NOT enter your Social Security number. My daughter in law's sister had her ID stolen that way. The only time an employer needs it is when you are filling out a W-4 after getting the job. Hopefully, that takes place in person, or via US mail. She was advised that if someone sent her that form via Fed Ex or UPS, it is likely a scam. US Mail is safer, apparently. Good luck in your search. I hear it's rough out there now!

• cynic
    12 years ago

I'll agree about protecting your identity but keep in mind if they ask for something and you don't provide it, some places automatically disqualify the application. One county here (perhaps more but I know this one) has the policy that if you put something like "will provide upon hiring" you won't get the job. If you don't fill out everything asked for, you should make an indication if for instance it doesn't apply. So be aware.

Lots of good advice. Check the local unemployment office. They have a lot of listings there. Possibly it won't be exactly what you're looking for but sometimes it's better to take "a job" and have that going for you in terms of networking, practicing interviewing skills and the like. Are you willing to take a job that's not your dream job? Are you only looking for full time and not willing to accept part time? Part time often can lead to full time. Are you willing to start more at the bottom and try to work up to a manager?

Different areas interview differently. Go ahead and apply at places you don't necessarily want to work and go through the interview process. I'd record it too and you can listen to yourself and see how you're coming across to them.

There's an old cliche about it's easier to find a job when you have a job and there's some truth to it I believe. Sometimes frustration comes across during an interview and we don't realize it. Also when you're working you get other leads too.

There's different philosophies on follow-up. My uncle went to the place he wanted to work and sat in the employment office (there wasn't "Human Resources" in those days!) and kept asking them if they had a job for him. Well, it did work for him but I'll caution that when I was hiring and people kept calling me every day or two, that lost points with me. That told me that if they want something, yes they're persistent but if it's something like "I want a raise" and you tell them they don't qualify for one for 6 mo or a year or whatever, they may just keep bugging you every day for one. So I'd advise caution in that regard.

Yes, most places handle the hiring process electronically these days so be ready for it. Have your resume in several different forms. Include one that can easily be copy/pasted into an electronic app. Have a resume for a generic job if you're willing to accept something different. Have the one of course for your dream job.

Lastly, I've never been fond of asking them to keep an app/resume on file. Many places have laws that require it anyway but it can easily come across as trying to tell them how to hire people. Better to ask their policy. If they trash them after a position is filled, then send another about a month later. Around here it's required to keep the applications if someone should sue. Also they keep the notes from the interviews and often they're recorded as a protection.

Learn about a company you want to employ you. It's a bit impressive to the interview if you can drop in a comment that shows you did some research instead of flooding the market with applications.

Lastly, as hard as it is, and I know this from experience, try to not let yourself get frustrated. Keep in mind that every "no thanks" is one step closer to the job. Maybe you'll find it quickly or maybe it'll take a while. One thing that many job search people recommend is putting yourself "to work" finding a job. That is, schedule yourself "x" number of hours a day dedicated to job hunting. They even recommend you dress for an interview during that time. It has happened I got a couple chances to interview immediately and was able to walk out the door. No surfing, other than job related. No phone chat other than job related. It helps put you in the mindset and helps keep your mind focused.

Good luck. Keep your chin up!

• declansmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW...thank you everyone for all your wonderful advice! There is a lot to take in here. I know it's hard to find a job these days, so I appreciate all your helpful advice.
    I will keep "plugging away" and I am sure something will happen....hopefully sooner rather than later!