SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Are my cabinet doors original from 1913? The hardware?

theresse
14 years ago

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/more_of_theresses_kitchen_show.html?cat=kitchens

My contractor doubts they are. He started me doubting too, but then earlier today I was in the upstairs hallway getting something out of one of those huge deep hallway cupboards (goes through to the bathroom, where there's another identical cupboard door) and I realized it's the same looking door as the ones in the kitchen - only with an aged brass sliding latch that's definitely old. So I went into my bedroom and saw they were virtually the same doors on the built-in armoire too (same old hardware). Then down to the "nook" room (for lack of whatever the proper name is: it's a small room between the living room and kitchen and is one of the ways to enter the kitchen). There, I found a narrower & shorter version of the cupboard doors yet again, at the bottom of a tall built-in narrow cabinet w/ a glass door and drawer (and with very old looking hardware as well). The only difference that I could see is that the kitchen cupboard doors' hardware is black, not aged brass, and there's no sliding latches. I thought that maybe the doors were original but the hardware not, until I took yet another journey to another room - haha - and checked out the hinges on the built-in benches on either side of the fireplace. While they've been painted over, they are the same exact round-cornered butterfly hinges as are on the kitchen cabinet doors.

If these cabinets are original, why are our lower cabinets under the counter not? Our lower ones are just flat wood doors w/ no decoration/molding. Is it cause maybe the sink (in the middle of the counter) might have been the extra wide kind back then and had the kind of counters that are just wood held up by a wall bracket on one end and the sink on the other (so the sink would in a sense be undermounted)? Like here - if you scroll down in these Pittock Mansion pictures until you see the kitchen pictures:

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/oregon_portland_pittock_mansion.htm

Since our dining room's vast woodwork is still in the original unpainted condition, is that an indicator that the rest of the house's wood was probably unpainted too, including the kitchen? I think it's considered an arts & crafts house, though more of a foursquare - not a bungalow.

I know these are probably questions for a different type of forum but i've been hanging out here lately and I've come to look forward to your advice/feedback! I'll also look into getting a couple of the books some of you have recommended!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES