SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

Do you have a KA 6qt mixer?

lascatx
14 years ago

If so, how loud is it? Sound is hard to put into words, but I have one that is louder than my 1200 cfm vent hood on the highest speed -- and it is a grinding, whiny sound. Everyone including KA said the newer mixers were louder, so I thought this was just how it was and lived with it well past the warranty.

Now, out of warranty, I recently discovered how bad it was when using the new pasta extruder to make fusilli -- which requires running it on speed 10 long enough to extrude all the dough. My ears were ringing and they hurt for hours. Not good. That and getting an email promoting new KA Mixers and seeing customer reviews calling the new mixers quiet started me on a mission to do something about it while I can still hear.

I have listened to KA mixers in the Williams-Sonoma store and had a new one shipped to me. They sent the wrong color, but I was so eager to get it that I opened it before I noticed the color on the side of the box. Since it was open, I listened to it, and it practically purred. That's what I wanted to hear, so I eagerly awaited the correct color replacement. It came Friday. My heart sank when I turned it on and heard another grinding, whiny jet engine. Not quite as bad as my old one, but not exactly a different category either.

I'm sending this one back too. I'm not sure if we will be repairing the old one and hoping for the best or looking for a new one until we find another kitten that purrs for me. All of this has me wondering what kind of quality control or consistency KA has in their mixers. They tell you they all sound different, but the range I've experienced in the past couple of weeks seems a bit extreme. I want a KA that purrs, but I wonder what my chances are of getting one are. Was that quiet white one I returned because it was the wrong color an anomaly -- or is my jet engine the anomaly?

Anyone have any experiences to share? Can you give me hope?

Comments (14)