SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slowlane

? about 'raw freezing' slow cooker meals

slowlane
11 years ago

I've just discovered that my mom, who lives several hours away from me, has been living mostly on canned deviled ham and crackers. Not only is she elderly, but she hasn't been feeling well and hasn't been up to cooking. Because I can't be there to cook for her and she refuses to move here, I've been looking for meals I can make and freeze for her to just heat and eat. She and my step-dad are not TV dinner types; they prefer healthy, family-style meals, so that's what I've been collecting recipes for.

One site I found, The Test Kitchen of Melissa Fallis (link below) offers some recipes that call for just throwing raw food--like half a bag of raw baby carrots or raw chopped potatoes and celery--into the bags along with the other ingredients. When you're ready to use them, you dump the ingredients in the Crock Pot (presumably still frozen; the recipe doesn't mention thawing) and cook.

So here are my questions: Has anyone ever used this method? Won't the texture of the vegetables be--strange? Will the potatoes turn brown? The convenience sounds great, and I know my parents would like some of the recipes, but I can't afford to waste time and money on food that might turn out to be inedible.

Any advice will be appreciated :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Test Kitchen of Melissa Fallis

Comments (10)