SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennm_gw

please help -- contractor fiasco -- which equipment should I use?

jennm
16 years ago

I'm in the middle of a fairly major renovation of a 3000 square foot home. It's been a fiasco -- My contractor literally absconded -- he abandoned all of his jobs, and stole large amounts of money from everyone. (and yes, he was licensed; yes, I checked references. . .) I"m out quite a lot of money, and though he will be charged criminally, odds are I'll never see it again.

Our heating and a/c system was partly completed, but, as it turns out, shoddily. And the a/c installers came onto my property last week and stole back the furnace from the basement! (I had paid the contractor already for their work, but they had apparently not been paid by him. That's a whole other story. . .)

THe new a/c sub that my new contractor wants to use seems very competent and experienced. He will complete the install on the equipment that is there. To replace the stolen one, he is recommending either a 90 % efficiency Payne for $1600 or a Carrier (either a 90 % unit that I don't see on the Carrier web site for $2200 or the Comfort 92 for $2800) With the latter, I'd get the federal tax credit and a local rebate.

Alternatively, I (or my contractor) could buy a goodman unit that would be less costly and still qualify for the credits. The a/c contractor says that's a terrible idea because Goodman is shoddy quality. Should I believe him? Because of ducting issues, I have to go with a 90 percent efficiency unit, but I don't really mind that.

The equipment the previous sub installed on the roof is a mixture of Rheem and GOodman. It's all been such a mess!

THoughts? WHat should I do? I'm in southern california, if that matters.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments (3)