SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Assymetry flanking hood--is this a problem?

breezygirl
13 years ago

My new kitchen will be open the family room and will be seen from the front door. My layout isn't giving me symmetry around the hood. I can't decide if this bothers me. Maybe it should, and my brain is just too fried to realize it. Details: Windows will be new. Exact configuration of the uppers hasn't been given one single thought yet.

I've got uppers to the right of the hood, but none to the left, just a window. The 42" hood will be over a 36" Capital Culinarian rangetop. Here's my layout, which may change slightly around the pantry but that won't affect the hood area:

I'm thinking of using a wood hood for two reasons. One, I think I prefer the look of it. Two, I thought that wood might camoflauge the assymetry. Rhome was kind enough to do a rendering for me using her awesome computer skills to show what the kitchen would look like with a wood hood. These views are from the family room and will be similar to the view from the front entry.

Here's what it would look like with a stainless hood. If I go stainless, I'm not planning on chimney style hood. I'd prefer either a barrel shape or one with a flatter, more modern shape. (Ignore the fact that the oven and fridge are in different locations.)

Boxerpups worked her magic for me and came up with some pics to show me that others have gotten away with this! (Thanks, Boxer!)

Does my hood area look strange to you? Which hood do you like best? If my kitchen will look hideous, any suggestions as a way to improve this are appreciated!

Comments (35)