SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Hood help--Rangecraft for looks or Kobe for cfms?

breezygirl
13 years ago

Here's a form vs function quandry for you. My rangetop will be a 36" 6 burner Capital Culinarian, and I was planning a 42" hood with 900 cfms or more as I will stir fry and sear meat. I had settled on this Kobe prostyle with 1000 cfms. Duct cover would run up to the ceiling.

Then I found a deal on a beauty of a Rangecraft hood. The problem is that it's 600 cfms. And another possible issue is that it's brushed stainless, not regular stainless.

Which looks better with my kitchen? White Shaker cabs with Carrara, possibly a dark granite on the island. Ignore the dark cabs on the island.

Ovens to the right of the hood will be Wolf Series L:

So do I choose the function of the Kobe, or do I go with the form of the Rangecraft?

Comments (45)

• sayde
    13 years ago

Wow, that Rangecraft is pretty --- perhaps too pretty to pass up. I can't believe I'm saying this (since I put 1200 CFM over a 30 inch Blue Star) but if it were me and these were the only two options I would get the RC.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

That Rangecraft is seriously pretty. What model is it?

As for function, how many BTUs total does your range have? Also, have you checked with your local planning office to see if you need make-up air with a hood above X number of CFMs?

• Related Discussions

Kobe RA9236SQ 700 cfm Cups $500 OR RA9236SQB 760 cfm Baffles $1k?

Q

Comments (4)
    I have a Kobe with cups and have no problem with it. They are so easy to clean, and really do fill up with grease. I don't think they work any less than baffles,and I feel like it sucks up everything it should. Everyone said to go with the baffles, but that model was didn't have the correct venting for me. I will say Kobe installation was tough! My brother in law is a GC and said he's never seen a hood so difficult.
    ...See More

Brillia by Kobe Undercabinet hood at Costco

Q

Comments (5)
    Sounds like a good buy. I say go for it. I like that it has baffle filters (instead of mesh). You often don't find baffle filters in the lower-priced hoods. I like that the corners appear to be curved, rather than 90-degree sharp. which reduces the possibility of hurting your head if you bang into it. Though, as Billp1 said, it would be helpful to know what cfm's you need, which can be determined if you provide your range model, and/or the btu's on your range. I also saw that this hood only needs a 6" diameter duct which is good if that's the size duct you have now, and/or you don't want to retrofit to a larger-sized duct. The downside is that the hood may be noisy, due to pushing 640 cfms through a 6" duct. But at that price, and given the other advantages of the hood (warranty, baffle filters, cfms, nice appearance), the potential noise is outweighed by all the advantages. Furthermore, you may not always need to use the hood at the full 640 cfms, so your noise level can be diminished. I'll provide a direct link to the hood in case others want to see it and weigh in. Here is a link that might be useful: Kobe Brillia Hood at Costco
    ...See More

Need feedback on 2 Kobe hoods

Q

Comments (0)
    We are trying to decide between 2 Kobe hoods and would appreciate some feedback from you awesome forum members. CH-191 http://koberangehoods.com/product/CH-191.html Baffle filters approx. $1,000 280 CFM - 800 CFM 22" deep CH-179 http://koberangehoods.com/product/CH-179.html Oil catchers approx. $850 380 CFM - 800 CFM 22" deep The 36" hood will be going above a 30" gas range. Said range has an 18K BTU burner in the front right corner and 15K BTU burner in the back left corner. Husband loves to do high heat wok cooking 3 times a week, and prefers the front burner. Questions: 1. In a posting by Kaseki I noticed it mentioned that baffle filters only work when placed at an angle. Is there a minimum angle? Are the CH-191 baffles placed to do their job of grease collection? 2. I had originally thrown out the oil catcher models since it appears that grease would accumulate on the large expanse of stainless steel under the hood. However it seems like they move air better. Are there any high heat grease experts who can comment on cleaning this type of hood? Not the fan, but that large expanse to stainless steel under the hood. Just wanted to thank you all in advance. I couldn't find anywhere near Portland, OR to see a Kobe and have spent hours reading all the posts about range hoods. It is somewhat unsettling to buy it online, sight unseen (actually the noise is more our concern), but it looks like what we need.
    ...See More

Please help with range hood: Broan, Kobe, Faber or Kitchenaid

Q

Comments (2)
    I just had an interesting experience on this front. I have a Broan fan with a Rangecraft hood, over a 60" stove. Both mfrs dont seem to like the idea that my GC mixed the two brands. Morever. I was surprised to learn that Broan only warrants their fan for one year from date of PURCHASE. OUr project was a whole house reno with the oft recited delays one hears of. That meant our warranty was ticking away for many months as the Broan sat in a box, and then several more months after installation but before occupancy. IMHO, a warrant that ticks away before you even start to use the item, is illusory. Just something to consider ...
    ...See More
  • breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sayde--I know! For my price range and optimal, quiet hood performance, the Kobe was my choice. It's not the prettiest thing out there, but it will perform well.

Ideagirl--it's The Viser. The CC rangetop is 138,000 total BTUs. Each burner is 23,000. The Appliance forum people will tell you i need mega cfms.

My city requires MUA at 400cfms or more. My former GC says he puts in 1200cfms all the rime and has never had to do MUA. I'm afraid that my high powered rangetop (not seen around these parts ever) will call extra attention to itself and I'll get caught. I don't want to nor do I have the money in the budget for MUA.

Is the brushed stainless a visual no-no with my other shiny stainless?

• whallyden
    13 years ago

Could you add a remote (external) blower to the Rangecraft to beef things up? Like something from Prestige?

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

From someone whose smoke alarm still goes off from time to time, even when the range hood is on, I think you should consider whether it will bug you if the range hood is not performing well even if it is pretty.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whallyden--I'm not sure. I don't really understand how hoods work despite having been looking for one for almost a year now. It has an internal blower already. Do I take that out and put in an external one? Is that what you're saying? Or is the external blower something you can add to a hood that already has an interior blower/fan?

Itsallaboutthefood--I got by with my old, worthless OTR MW vent with my old electric range. Yeah, things got smokey, but the alarm never went off. I was hoping to do without that this time, but the "form" of the Rangecraft is calling me. Maybe with the hood being 42" over a 36" rangetop the 600 cfms will seem like a bit more because I have that extra capture area? The hood is 24" deep too.

Lots of things bug me (poor lighting, side spray faucets, double-bowl sinks), but I'm not sure that a little too much smoke from time to time would.

• abbeys
    13 years ago

Hi Breezygirl,

Your kitchen plan looks beautiful. I think either hood would work, but if it were my kitchen I would definitely go for the rangecraft. It will give you that extra bit of style you will see everytime you walk into your kitchen. I'm not an expert on cfm's, and your stove has a lot of power - but I would trade off the cfm's you need sometimes for looks you'll see all the time. (I'm planning to put a Kobe in my kitchen - but it will be encased in a wood mantle.)

• HomeNoobie
    13 years ago

that rangecraft is stunning. I'd go with that.. esp if you've been getting by with an OTR micro this whole time!! that hood is sexy!

• melissastar
    13 years ago

I love the rangecraft look too and no, I don't think brushed stainless is an issue. But I would seriously look into Whalleyden's suggestion about appending an exterior blower. I'm not sure I fully understand this, but this is how I THINK they work. Basically you've got a large fan that sucks the air up from the cooking area and sends it shooting through a vent to the outside. The fan can be interior...meaning it is located just above the baffles or mesh grills in the hood itself. It can be exterior, meaning it's actually located OUTSIDE the house at the END of the vent run, pulling the air all the way through the vent run from the kitchen. Or it CAN be located halfway in between, in the middle of the vent run. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, notably that an exterior blower/fan tends to be quieter because it's further from the kitchen, but it also then may need to be more powerful. So, in theory, you could use the RC hood, with it's interior 600cfm motor with an auxilary exterior blower at the end of the vent run when you needed more CFMs.

What I don't know and you would need to find out (try the appliance forum) is if putting the auxilary exterior blower in would A) make the interior one much less effective because it would sort of "block" the vent opening. B) whether running the exterior one simultaneously would somehow damage the interior one. And of course you'd have to make sure that the vent sizing for the two is the same. What size vent does the RC take, btw?

I know you've been getting along with an OTR micro/hood this time, but you haven't had the btus the Culinarian is going to put out either, right? I have a Capital precision that puts out something over 100,000 btus with an Imperial hood insert that sucks up 1200 cfms and it works well. And if you intend to sear meat or stif fry on that baby, you're going to WANT a strong enough hood.

As for MUA...what kind of house do you have...new and well sealed or old and leaky like mine? If it's old and leaky, well, you'll probably get plenty of MUA without installing a special way to get it. If not you probably ought to double check, especially if you have the fireplace nearby.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Abbeys--Good way to look at it. Trading off the cfms that I'd need sometimes for the visual I'd see all the time sounds good to me.

HomeNoobie--Dh wanted a sexy hood! I actually haven't shown him the picture yet. My OTR MW was over an electric stove and the new top will be gas.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

That Rangecraft model comes in a 1200CFM version, so I wonder if it might make more sense to either get that version, or get the one you can get a deal on and then separately buy the parts you need from Rangecraft to make it do 1200CFM.

As for the brushed vs. regular stainless, SO not a problem.

However, I do wonder how you would get through the inspection phase of the remodel without MUA. Has your GC explained that?? It doesn't make sense to me.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, that model can be made with a 1200cfm blower. However, the one I'm considering withe the 600cfm is on clearance for more than 50% off. I could not afford to have them make me one. I checked with the woman at Rangecraft and she said it's not a good idea to add an external blower to this one.

I don't have a GC anymore. I'm running the whole house reno. My former GC spoke to the head inspector who said that the city has NEVER made anyone put in MUA even with a high cfm hood. Former GC said I should go about my business and pick out whatever I want. My house is 40 years old and not air tight at all.

I live in a smaller suburban area where I would bet 99.9999% of the people have never heard of a CC so I know the inspectors have never seen one. I don't want to raise a red flag with the rangetop and a powerful hood.

From what I can ferret out, MUA is code in most places in the country but not enforced in many. I'm going to play stupid homeowner/woman and pretend I've never heard of MUA. If I hadn't found the Appliance Forum, I wouldn't have any idea what it is.

Thanks for the confirmation of the brushed not being a problem!

• bellacucina
    13 years ago

breezy, I love the rangecraft look but .... I would want to know whether 600 cfms would be enough for my cooking style, so I recommend emailing Trevor at eurostoves --regardless of whether you bought it there - or asking on the appliance forum and he's likely to chime in, he's very helpful and there's lots of CC experience over there. If you really like to cook, I hate to say it, but I'd have to pick function over form.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Without doubt the Rangecraft is very sharp looking. I certainly would have considered it when we were looking. I do have a Kobe with 7 or 800 CFM's and I will say it is quieter than others I have heard. I haven't a rangecraft.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bella--you started all of this for me! ;) Seeing your beautiful range hood made me look into Rangecraft! In my heart of hearts, I know that I need more cfms. But I sure think I could get by on less. I love to cook and most meals are home made.

Eandhl--I'm glad to hear that your Kobe is quiet. They are recommended on the Appliance forum for sure. There aren't any hoods hooked up anywhere near me to listen to. Only a few to actually see IRL too.

• dekeoboe
    13 years ago

It's form versus function, but in this case, function equals safety. Normal charts show you need 1 CFM per 100 BTUs. A 600 CFM hood is good for 60,000 BTUs, which is roughly three of your burners. Do you intend to use more than three burners at a time?

As stated above, you cannot compare your electric range to this gas range.

• celineike
    13 years ago

I would deff go with the RC! but i almost always choose beauty over brains :o)
    Im getting a Bluestar 6 burner and i think they are similar in output but my sales guys said a 600 CFM would be fine... although i did say i would only run 4 burners at once, 90% of the time.

And i think you can definitely mix the polished and brushed stainless.

• kellied
    13 years ago

Knowing how you notice fine details every day, I think the brushed stainless will be less inclined to show every little thing. Besides, saving 50% on it will help offset the cost of the bathroom tile you really want!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dekeoboe--I know the conventional calculations. That's why I was planning the Kobe. I do plan on using more than 3 burners at once when necessary. It won't happen every day, but enough.

Celineike--Good to know. My appliance person (who doesn't sell Capital) said I'd be fine with about that also. And I'm probably like you with the burner usage too.

Kellied--Is that your nice way of saying that I'm picky?? You know me so well. And the 50% is still expensive. I could not afford the RC if it was full price.

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

Kobe makes a very nice hood -- we were going to go with them, but ended up with a Zephyr Typhoon instead. That being said, I would go for the style of the Rangecraft in your kitchen. The design of that hood would look amazing snuggled between the two windows!

As long as you're not running the everything on high, you should be ok ... my only caveat is that I have no idea how quiet the Rangecraft will be on high!

• natschultz
    13 years ago

Is that the hood on the Rangecraft site that is $4,500 on clearance? That's the hood I wanted too, but IMHO, that is still way too much for a hood. I had NO IDEA the original price was $10,000 though - OUTRAGEOUS!

I don't understand the working of hoods either and I was going to post a question about it, but I guess I'll do that on the appliance forum instead!

BTW: You DO have a fireplace right smack in the middle of your house, therefore you MAY actually NEED that MUA! I have an old house too, but my fireplace (woodstove) is at the complete opposite side of the house from my kitchen (NW vs. SE) with a few 6" thick plaster walls in between.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zacsdaddy--I looked at the Zephyrs too, but couldn't find the right one. The only person Ive ever seen comment on the RC noise level is Bellacucina in her new kitchen. I'm sure that I'd have to run it on high more often because it's only 600cfms. How is the noise level on your Zephyr?

Nat--The 42" in that finish is $4900 at regular price. Thats way out of my price range. The one I'm looking at is $2200, just slightly more than the Kobe.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melissa--I didn't see your long post up there till just now. I checked with RC. They said it was not a good idea to add a remote blower. Yes, my OTR MW was over an electric range. I have no idea what it's like to REALLY cook on gas, but I know a good hood is important.

My house is older and leaky, but we're trying to fix some of those issues as we reno. The fireplace isn't our primary heat source.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to answer your question about the duct size. It's 8".

• sayde
    13 years ago

Can you do a 48 inch? there is a copper hood with 1200 cfm for $2300! on the RC site. I was looking at these myself but had to have a rear vent (rather than a top vent) so had a Prestige 1200 CFM put into a custom hood. The RC copper hood is an incredible deal if you can use the size.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I saw that one too. I don't have the room for that one between the two windows. I designed the windows to frame a 42" hood. The 48" is a deal though!

• kellied
    13 years ago

I do know you well. You are very particular. As nice and shiny as the Kobe is, I do think you would be happier with the Rangecraft in the long run.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know I'd be happier with the look of the RC, but I'm not sure I'd be happier with the performance of it. That's my only hesitation. Particular = picky = perfectionist!

• kellied
    13 years ago

Besides, Wendy, if I found something that I liked that normally I would not be able to afford at a price I could handle, I'd go for it!

Too many cfm's suck the heat out of the house as well. Do you really want a wind tunnel?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't want a wind tunnel, just the ability to suck up the smoke I cause when I sear protein at a high heat!

• kellied
    13 years ago

One word. RANGECRAFT. Nuff said.

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

Regarding the Zephyr -- we were really impressed with the low noise and suction. We're lucky that Zephyr has a huge showroom locally and were able to test out the models.

A couple more weeks and we'll know if it was a good decision or not! The wiring for the hood is complete - just have to wait for the cabinets so we can get it mounted!

• sandn
    13 years ago

We have a 1000CFM hood (Thermador) and a Wolf range with grill. All I can say is 600CFM would not cut it.

And 42" seems perfect with a 36" range. A 36" hood makes the range + hood look too narrow. We have the same layout, windows flanking hood and range.

• sayde
    13 years ago

But the OP has a 6 burner, not a grill.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zacsdaddy--you're getting close! There are only a few range hoods (and they're UC) to see around here and none of them are even hooked up so you can hear them. Thanks for the Zephyr report.

Sandn--do you think you could get by with 600 if you didn't have the grill? I'm also hoping that maybe the fact that the hood is 42" would help the suck/pull if I only had 600cfms.

Sayde's right. 6 burners, no grill.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Hi Breezygirl, Chiming in late on your post: go with the Rangecraft. It is stunning! Without a grill, I think that 600 cfms is going to be fine.

(We bought a Best K4236, 1000 cfm hood for our 30" Wolf range last year. I love it -- but it is truly overkill. We have never used it on the highest setting. In fact, I rarely use it, even when searing meat on anything but the lowest setting.)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Francoise for the comments on both the visual and the hood power. If I was getting a grill I wouldn't even consider 600 cfms.

The beauty is calling me!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

R-A-N-G-E-C-R-A-F-T! What does that spell? A gorgeous hood that you will love forever!

• sandn
    13 years ago

I realize that OP (breezygirl) doesn't have a grill, but we have often turned the hood on high without the grill on, that's because we quite often pan fry and occasionally create a fair amount of smoke (sear roasted steak, blackened fish).

I think there are a number of factors in how effective your hood is. The #1 factor is what and how you cook. If you fry foods and create a lot of smoke you will want more CFMs. If you saute/poach/boil I think you could get away with fewer CFMs. If you plan on having all 6 burners on and the oven you will need more CFMs just to keep from turning your kitchen into a sauna.

Height of hood above the range is also a factor. The lower the better but obviously aesthetics and comfort standing in front the range are factors that need to be balanced. Our 42" hood ended up 36" above the range.

From watching our hood in action I think the volume of the hood is also extremely important. Sometimes I see a burst of smoke curl up and just about breach the confines of the hood before getting sucked away, I have to believe that some of the very flat, low volume hoods may have trouble handling the load. Our hood also has a 10" duct which may be a factor in controlling the noise.

Good luck with your decision.

• kellied
    13 years ago

Oh, please, please, please don't give her a reason to keep looking! She's already on overload and I don't want to visit her in the mental ward any time soon!!

Go with your gut instincts and stop overthinking it.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Sandn. Yes, I'm confused again. I decide to buy the RC, then I dither again. I'm going to make a decision TODAY and be done with it. I've got too many other decisions left to make.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: I bought the Rangecraft.

• sayde
    13 years ago

Good!!!!! That's what you wanted all along! You will love it!!!! And you got an amazing deal. I was so hoping you would get the Rangecraft!!!!! Hooray!

• babs711
    13 years ago

Breezy,

I hope this isn't too nosey of a question. But how did you get such a good deal on that Rangecraft? I love that hood!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sayde--thanks for the smile!

Babs--not nosey at all. I found it on Rangecraft's website on the clearance page. I saw Bellacucina's beautiful hood in her new kitchen and went to the RC site to check them out. They have quite a few of various sizes and styles that customers ordered and then changed their minds. All the hoods are made to order. I couldn't believe it when I saw one in just the size I planned in a style I loved. Maybe I subconsciously didn't say where I found the deal so no one here would buy it out from under me while I waffled!