SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulmars11

Lightning damage to my Bryant, I need help fixing it

paulmars
14 years ago

3 different electrical circuits in the house hit. Two fixed, but not the AC yet.

Shortly after the hit I noticed the central unit fan on. The thermostat was set to auto and ac/heat switch was set to off. So, i pulled the fuse. 4 days later I opened the unit and saw no signs of damage. I plugged back in the fuse and the fan and heater cycled on for 3 seconds and then shut down. I removed the fuse and after a few minutes tried again and the same thing happened. I repeated this several times. Under normal operation the oil heater turns on for

several minutes before the fan starts. I pulled the thermostat and then when the fuse was plugged in, after a delay just the fan operated, as it did the night of the Lightning strike.

With the fuse out, i plugged back in the thermostat and tried again. Now its again just the fan that's on(after a delay) when the fuse is in.

I removed all four thermostat wires from the circuit board in the AC unit and the fan still turns on with the fuse in(after delay).

I suspect its that circuit board, but want to be sure before I take it out. There are two relays mounted to it.

Ideas?

tks, >paul

Comment (1)