SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_327779125

Fixing a water damaged cabinet base underneath kitchen sink

HU-327779125
3 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a project I may be taking on. My corner kitchen sink has had various leaks over the last 15 years. The plumbing has finally been repaired but the cabinet base has significant water damage (see attached pics). There is a hole in it now and I want to get it repaired. I am not sure what the cabinet base is made out of, doesn’t look like wood but the surrounding area around the hole seems pretty strong. Cabinet brand seems to be KraftMaid and the model of that corner cabinet is SBA36 R if that helps anything. Cabinet is about 15 years old.

I'm currently deciding on whether or not to do it myself or have a handyman do it.

If were to do it my self this is my current plan…

1. Cut out/remove existing cabinet base
  2. On the kitchen tile floor below the base I would lay down some 2x4 to length to support new base (not sure how to secure these since they will be on top of tile). I know to make sure the height is correct.
  3. Cut the new plywood to shape
  4. Secure new plywood on top of 2x4’s using nails (may have to cut the new piece into 3 pieces to fit in door).

*OR

1. Dry the current base and just cut out the rotted area and just place a new layer of plywood over the existing board.

2. Mayby ill put a piece of 2x4 in the hole to support the new plywood so it doesn’t sag into hole.

3. I’ll proceed to nail the plywood into existing base and maybe caulk the edges

Basically I think that would be it, let me know if I’m missing and critical steps.

Things holding me back from doing it myself…

• Not sure how the cabinet is constructed, will cutting out the existing damaged base cause structural damage to the cabinet?
  • It’s a corner cabinet so the base is diamond shaped. Every youtube video i’ve seen has a base that is square. I’m not sure how to accurately measure the angles to cut and fit plywood in there. Is this something a beginner can figure out?

I know i’ve asked multiple questions and addressed numerous concerns but with the info given, how would you go about repairing it and around how much do you think a handyman would charge for something like this?

Also please let me know what tools you would like to have on hand to complete the job.

Keep in mind the end result doesn’t have to be pretty, just safe (particularly from any potential mold) and effective.

Please let me know if you need any additional pictures or info to give me ant tips on how to proceed.

Thanks!

Comments (6)