SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

Clothing for Parkinson's Patients

allison0704
10 years ago

GW is a great source when someone has a question, so I thought some of you might be able to suggest some clothing websites and/or catalogs for my mother. She will be 80yo this Friday and was diagnosed with Parkinson's a couple of years ago. She doesn't tremble, but shuffles. Muscle mass is extremely low. She is petite. Pre-PD she was 100lbs and 5ft tall, now she's 84lbs and probably 4" shorter. Little known fact: Many Parkinson's patients loose 20% of their weight the 12-24 months after being diagnosed. That's easier on a person if they are larger to begin with, but she has always been petite.

She has plenty of canes and is about to order a walker on wheels with a seat. She gets tired easily. Eats well, which is good. Has good doctors and my father is still in excellent shape, so he picks up the slack (slowness) in the kitchen and helps her out of bed each morning. My sister is about to retire, so she will start going to their house 3-4 days a week to help. When the time comes, they'll hire sitter(s) as needed, but for now they would rather not have their privacy invaded. As long as she's not falling we're comfortable with that decision.

She requested a few catalogs, which I've ordered online or by phone (can't get over the websites that don't let you order online!). I don't know what she's specifically looking for, but she is a smart dresser and likes to look nice, even if staying home for the day. They are still going out to dinner with friends and family, the grocery store, haircuts and doctor appointments.

Thanks in advance.
Allison

Comments (4)